Friday, January 04, 2013

happy efforts

 In a mere 15 minutes, I can freshen up my kitchen on friday which makes for a great way to end the week and begin a weekend.  Here are some simple tips to follow.  I unload my dishwasher first thing while the coffee is brewing.  Happiness after all is the result of personal effort.

Every Day

  • Wipe down the sink after doing the dishes or loading the dishwasher (30 seconds).
  • Wipe down the stove top (one minute).
  • Wipe down the counters (one minute).
  • Sweep, Swiffer, or vacuum the floor (two minutes).
     

Every Week

  • Mop the floor (five minutes).
  • Wipe the cabinets, backsplashes, and appliances (10 minutes).
  • Wash the dish rack (four minutes).
  • Wipe the switch plates and phone (one minute).
  • Wipe the inside of the garbage can (one minute).
     

Every Season

  • Empty and scrub down the inside of the refrigerator (30 minutes).
  • Empty and clean the insides of the utensil drawers (15 minutes).
  • Scrub down the cupboard exteriors (30 minutes).
  • Clean the stove-hood filter (10 minutes).
  • Perform "Shiny Sink 101"
 A fresh orchid makes me smile too.  I need to transfer this one to my white pot.

Sure, happiness takes time but you do have to strive for it, insist upon it.

This is the look I am going for in my living room area, dark floors, light walls and something modern for the fire-place.  I am gathering images and lists for the next phase of our living room renovation.
Sure it does take effort but the happiness gained is worth it.

19 comments:

Cheryl said...

Patricia,
I love this! So simple to keep up, and yet if I don't... with four dogs... eeek!
My white orchid died just before the holidays. Looking at yours, I think I will have to treat myself!

Formerly known as Frau said...

So simple....love that! I think I have too much crap in my house need to simplify it. Love the Eat,Prey, love quote! Have a great weekend!

Sandy at You May Be Wandering said...

Great suggestions, Patricia...I find that a clean home, particularly my kitchen, makes my life seem so much brighter! I love orchids - I usually buy mine at Trader Joes and they last forever, but lately they haven't had any.

Enjoy your day filled with simple happiness! xoxoxox

Jennifer C. Webb said...

serious kitchen envy....for the design and the cleanliness. Gorgeous

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Patricia it's looking so inviting: clean lined, white and simple. Great reminder for what we all need to be doing too!

Jennifer said...

I love the quote! And yes I see why the white pot would be a happy, calming addition to your kitchen.
When you break the tasks down, it seems silly not to do them. Lovely inspiration, thank you.

Michelle said...

I love having a clean kitchen! Oh it feels so good, and my brain is happy when all is clean and pretty. Really love that quote about happiness too, very true, and hard to do, at least sometimes it feels hard to do.

LindsB said...

id give anything to have a kitchen like yours in my apartment- I'd even do all those things to keep it clean everyday :)

My Notting Hill said...

So fun to see your kitchen! I often don't have to work on Fridays and like to get the kitchen straight while making coffee and listening to the Diane Rehm Friday round up. Today I had to work in the am so I'm going to listen to on the computer. Hope you have a great weekend.

LUCY WILLIAMS said...

thanks for posting patricia- i love seeing how people live!! love your kitchen...and LOVE the white countertops!!

Erin said...

I am really jealous of your kitchen being clean bc I left mine a mess this am!

What a fabulous quote!!! This post is just what I needed to confirm all this wedding planning is going to be worth it. xx

Jayne said...

I absolutely love your clean counters and spare living area! Papers and projects and books always seem to spill over into those spaces I would like to keep free, so I always look longingly at such spaces!

Unknown said...

Patricia,
I need to follow your lead!! I love that your kitchen is clean as a whistle and I'm sure it makes it so much more relaxing for you to sit with a cup of tea or your sketchbook!

And, I completely agree....when we strive for something and see it through that is an amazing feeling of happiness.

Here's to lots of happiness in 2013!
xoxo Elizabeth

quintessence said...

I don't think my kitchen will ever look this pristine. Love how you break down your routine.

MJH Design Arts said...

Hi Patricia,
I love the Orchid. I think that it will give you many months of flowers. I had a huge Christmas gift: I have five orchid plants that have been hibernating on my south-facing kitchen window ledge. They have done nothing for many months and I even almost stopped watering these guys. Just before Christmas I took a careful look and I have 10 new flower spikes in various stages of growth. I have talked to these babies, but have not even fertilized them. Huge gift and blessing.
Have a wonderful week-end. Love your kitchen.
Mary

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

I go off the grid and return to this gorgeous kitchen! It looks ammmazzzing. Our kitchen reno is still officially still 'on deck' but the gift of a beautiful orchid from a house guest inspired me to rid the shelves and counters of some clutter (some things that I didn't even remember having!).

I see you've put in some hours on the slopes this winter...happy to see there's snow on them thar hills! Hoping to spend some more time in the blogosphere in 2013.

Happy New Year, Patricia and family!

Anonymous said...

looks fabulous!

BRASWELL said...

Having a lovely Sat morning reading your blog! + Loving all your photos. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

annie@mostlovelythings said...

so true Patrica....a little effort goes a long way. I love your kitchen!