Wednesday, March 05, 2008

to teach

Often, I will have a parent inquire as to where a child might take some decent art lessons, the kind that really teach you to draw and not make another catalogue craft.  I reply, "well, I began my first year of college in Art Education but after meeting one very fashionable and incredibly funny friend, it seemed that Fashion Designers had more fun.   I made the switch to Fashion and many years later, after having children, I could see that teachers have just as much fun if not more."   (I can see that said parent, held hostage, did not anticipate my soliloquy!)  To teach is to share my passion and to light the fire inside of a student.  Many people think that being a good artist is all about "talent" - but it is really all about working at it and exploring the many mediums of art.  Above is a drawing from one of my students, he wanted to draw his home as a gift.  What a kind and hard working student to teach.   My world is a better brighter place when I share my love of art and inspire others.  To teach is to inspire.  
Parent normally retorts, when can said child begin?

9 comments:

Kwana said...

Wow, what a wonderful drawing. He did an amazing job and you are a great teacher.

pve design said...

Kwana,
Thanks! I can always count on you to make my day!
Patricia

My Notting Hill said...

You can always tell a good teacher when they say things like you did in your post, "to share my passion and to light the fire inside of a student." My husband left the business world 15 yrs ago to teach high school physics and hasn't looked back since. I wish I could send my daughter to your classes!

Mrs. Blandings said...

I asked our own school art teacher where she thought the best place to go for art lessons was. The budding artist was in Kindergarten. Her reply? "Your kitchen. Keep as many art supplies on hand as you can stand and don't box him in." Funny, I'd been fretting about all the paper we were using, yet was willing to spend a small fortune on classes. I loaded up and let him go. Happy as a clam.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

another inspirational post :-) Such a beautiful drawing!! I really need to start practicing my sketching again!

annechovie said...

It's wonderful that you are able to share your passion and teach. You are the perfect personailty to be a good teacher. Nice work from your student!

Eileen said...

He did a fantastic job. I thought you did it.

pve design said...

My Notting Hill,
Love to have your decorative services here! I teach, draw and you decorate? Sounds like a perfect plan!
Those blue chairs on your post today are certainly lovely.
Patricia

Mrs. B-
Great advice for your budding artist, good supplies and a great mother are the perfect recipe to instill confidence! Also mentors provide motivation to keep them challenged as they bloom! I am getting the courage to do a quiz, that is the teacher in me!
The tests that you post always make my day! (even if I don't have the answer!)
Patricia

Be The Change-
Please, practice and share your skills, Architecture and drawing seem only natural!
Patricia

Hi Anne-
Teaching is fun, it allows me to really see how much I know, and to inspire a young artist reminds me a many a great mentor! I am sure that you must have had some great teachers along the way!
thanks,
Patricia

Mrs. Limestone said...

I missed this post originally. Have you ever thought of giving lessons to adults? Ive looked for some good classes in NYC and can't find anything that aren't focused more on the academic rather than just having some fun using another side of my brain. If you ever consider it, please let me know, I'd love to be a student.