Tuesday, June 29, 2010

shore thing

I love the shore.
(Painting by pve)
"calm" colors, benjamin moore colors
I had painted swatches for my client
I just completed a color palette for a client's new home. They are moving from a two bedroom condo to a major first home! The task of selecting colors for a home can be completely overwhelming, so when my client asked for my services, I was thrilled to help assist in the color selection.
I have a rule, people either "go bold or go beige." It is no secret that I love color, but I am sensitive to those who seek quiet calm colors. Colors like the shore can evoke a sense of calm.
Having a calm space to come home to can provide a soothing welcome ~so our key words, were "neutral, calm, zen-like, sophisticated, clean."
The two story entry foyer is painted a rich neutral, similar to this color, the color I chose is called pizmo dunes. The upstairs hallway is a tad deeper, driftwood. Accessories can be the accent, a bright colorful sofa, a painted chest all add a sense of humor and whimsy to making a house a home.
Getting to know my client and finding the right colors that would reflect and represent their taste was such an incredible experience for me.

I learned quickly that by providing clear images from the beginning provided a visual so we could find a pleasing palette to work from. Each day, I run by the home and see the colors go up one by one.

The above painting was a gift from me to my client, I used all the colors that were chosen to paint this "shore scene" on canvas.
Colors are Benjamin Moore,
Pismo Dunes, Driftwood, Barely Beige, Lancaster Whitewash, Palladium Blue, Metropolitan, Cotswald, Camouflage, Yorkshire Tan, Vapor Mist, Night Train, Coastal Dunes, Saybrook Sage.

20 comments:

M.A said...

Gorgeous color pallete and i love the painting you did. Reminds me of a Homer Winslow painting. Yesterday i found this great book in a secondhand book shop by Nita Engle about experimental painting techniques and their is this whole chapter about painting seascapes. Today you have inspired me to go have a go at painting a seascape.

René said...

The painting is beautiful. I imagine they proud new owners will be transported to a peaceful place each time they walk by it in their new home. You are such a sweet soul to share your talent with others.

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

What a wonderful gift, the painting is so beautiful! I love the calm colors you chose.

Kwana said...

I love your rule "go bold or go beige" they are good words to live by.

Jenny at LGN said...

So pretty, Patricia! I love that idea to go bold or go beige. You should trade mark that! :)

xx

Unknown said...

Amazing painting and those colors you chose are pure perfection. No surprise, I love the shore as well!

Elizabeth said...

lovely painting

Karena said...

Perfect Patricia!! The colors are just beautiful as well as your painting!

Karena
Art by Karena

Southern Lady said...

Very nice colors. I'm sure their first home is very inviting. Carla

Mrs. Blandings said...

Absolutely beautiful.

for the love of a house said...

I love the shore also, especially the Maine shore. Your painting is beautiful!
joan

Gramercy Home said...

Patricia, that painting is stunning. Just love it and love how you incorpoated all the colors in the home.

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

one of my favorite color palletes. gorgeous!

xo,
cristin

The homesteadingcottage said...

I adore the color palette you’ve chosen for the client’s home and the painting you created is lovely! The soothing movement of waves and the gentle wisps of hovering clouds just make me want to curl up with a good book, light some candles and bask in the glow of the setting sun {Sigh}

It's amazing how color can invoke such a sense of being...

Michele
XOXO

style chronicle said...

Love the subtle colors. The painting emits a soft glow!

Marija said...

Beautiful painting ... and a beyond thoughtful gift to your client! Go bold or go beige, I like that. Though I go dark and light ... not sure what that says about me:)

Brillante Interiors said...

Great choices of color and lucky clients, what a gift!I enjoyed the post and the images, I wish I had that foyer, it will make me smile every time I come home.

LindsB said...

That painting stopped me in my tracks- I could sit and look at it forever. It is perfectly beautiful!

Emily said...

This is my day to leave you blog notes...Oh, the painting you did is just so peaceful and gorgeous. And I love that you used the colors you helped your clients select for their home. If only we lived a little closer, I would employ you for the same reason. Your client will treasure that painting always, and they will enjoy their new revamped home.

simply seleta said...

STUNNING!!!