Thursday, April 11, 2013

work with your hands

  I work with my hands every day.
I am thankful for my hands.
They serve me well.
Good for cleaning, creating art, holding babies, typing on the computer, writing lists and hugging.
They are also good for clapping and petting my dog, both of which provide good cheer and comfort.
One thing I am really trying to do in my upcoming new site is to show more of my work which is made with my hands.  As an artist, the internet is a wonderful platform to share work yet at times I feel that everything is so cleaned up and polished that the true craft of artwork or objects made by hand quotient gets lost.
I think of the hands that I capture too. 
 The hands that care for creatures, that do the home work and the hands that swing the bat, lift the bail and tow the line.
All the humble hand holding and hand shakes that exist each day in an effort to provide some sort of final agreement or closure.

I am so inspired by work that is made by hand.
Do you work with your hands?

18 comments:

Jennifer C. Webb said...

nothing more satisfying than having made something at the end of the day. What starts off as a simple piece of paper or blank canvas...and is transformed into art.

Love the pop of PVE green in the first picture...so fresh

pve design said...

Jennifer,
Thank-you to someone who knows all about the creative satisfaction of working with one's hands.
I was going to title the post hand job but then I thought better. Sorry folks, for my potty mouth.
pve

Sandy at You May Be Wandering said...

I can't wait for the unveiling of your new site! I am not very creative "with my hands". I was with an artist friend yesterday and we were joking about how differently our brains work - she the artist, me the accountant/organizer!

Enjoy the day! xoxo

pve design said...

Sandy,
Well, we both scrutinize down to the pennies over details right so artists and accountants do have a lot in common.
pve

Cheryl said...

I just love the photograph of you with your brushes! It captures such emotion!
So excited about your new site!
~cheryl

pve design said...

Cheryl,
Thank-you. I love your photographs which are full of emotion. A picture is worth a 1000 words as they say.
I appreciate your enthusiasm.
pve

Jennifer C. Webb said...

Patricia, I blush! Not really...laughing hysterically

Let The Tide Pull Your Dreams Ashore said...

What a great post! I truly miss working with my hands and creating sculptures…it was so therapeutic. My mom always reminds me to not take anything for granted and has taught me to be thankful whenever I wash my hands that I have hands to wash. xx

Kwana said...

As a writer I work with my hand everyday. Hands and my mind.

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

The first image on the Post today, (the photo), expressed it all!!!

BRASWELL said...

What a lovely thought from "Let the tide pull your dreams ashore", thank you for my hands each time you wash them. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

pve design said...

I just washed my hands and gave thanks for they are clean!
pve

Chelsea Gwynne said...

I do work with my hands! I am a jewelry maker, crafter, who tries to cook - pet lots of dogs, and pick through granola for the sweet dried cranberries. :) I love seeing that picture of your hands (I think?) and seeing the work you do. You really inspire to me to live a more artful life!

home before dark said...

Julia Child was asked what was her favorite tool. She replied: my hands. And that's good enough for me!

pve design said...

Yes those are my hands. I love knowing that Julia Childs loved her hands too. Cooking is an art!
pve

Hannah said...

I love that chalkboard!

Barb said...

Yes I do. I write and I quilt and I sew. I dabble in water colors too. So grateful for all that my hands allow me to do.

Painting the hamptons said...

Love your work. Lovely post!