Monday, January 23, 2012

year of the dragon


The year of the dragon. 
Dragons seem to be everywhere I look.
Now what boy would not love to have this dragon paper on his wall?
If not on the wall, then what about a lamp or a pillow with a dragon?
Or a book with a dragon tattoo.
 Take some time to have a little fun today, as many celebrate the year of the dragon for the Chinese New Year.  Having traveled to China many years ago and having been fortunate to celebrate in China was something I shall never forget.
  
The pops of red are everywhere you go.
 along with red envelopes handed out for good luck.

The symbolism of sharing dim sum and many chinese dishes.  I spotted these on Steamy Kitchen.
Gong Xi Fa Ca! That’s the traditional Chinese New Year greeting that means “wishing you prosperity” in Mandarin. The first day of the Chinese New Year – which begins at midnight on January 23, 2012 – is the most important of Chinese holidays, celebrated by billions in China, and by millions of ethnic Chinese around the world. It’s a celebration that lasts for 15 days, culminating with the Lantern Festival. Each year is associated with one of twelve animals in the Chinese zodiac. For 2012, it’s the Year of the Dragon.
How will you celebrate the year of the dragon?

13 comments:

MyFavoriteFrenchAntiques said...

I will be in China for 2 weeks in March....my first trip to Asia,so very excited.

Booking my flight today for good luck.

Kwana said...

Love all those dragons and that wall paper is fab. Here's hoping for a lucky year.

Acquired Objects said...

Happy Chinese New Year! I wonder if they have rats on wallpaper...unfortunately I was born in the year of the rat...:)

XX
Debra

julielorusso@gmail.com said...

I'll share your post with Drew. He has always talked about his love of China. I don't know where he got it, but he has been asking for us to go for years. When he's older and will be able to remember and really enjoy the experience we'll go.

quintessence said...

Love that wallpaper!! I was thinking the same thing today!!

Gwen Driscoll said...

Love that dragon wallpaper. Happy Week!

Summer is a Verb said...

Love, love, LOVE that dragon wallpaper! Mya have to Pinterest that :)

Formerly known as Frau said...

I would love to visit there some day!! Happy Chinese New Year! I hope it's a good one!

J.W. said...

Happy New Year!

Great wallpaper! Does anyone know who makes it?

pve design said...

JW-
Wallpaper is by "paper boy wallpaper" UK
pve

Unknown said...

Tonight it's quiet...but since my oldest is obsessed with all things Asian, we'll soon be celebrating his birthday at Nobu! Just what every 10 year old wants to do! :)

xoxo Elizabeth

ps: Love the dragon motif and that wallpaper is brilliant!

Moments and Impressions said...

A Chinese friend of mine was so excited that we will be having a "Dragon Baby"... I had no idea how big of a deal this is. She said our daughter being a tiger, and then a dragon - that we would have very prosperous children.

Kinda silly... but I love all the celebrating they do.

Virginia Country House said...

It's a apparently a tradition to give away small oranges on Chinese New Year. When I was in Malaysia, it wasn't unusual to have two or three people hand you an orange when you were walking down the street.