Saturday, March 30, 2013

light of spring


 I don't know about you but the there is a certain light which exists in Spring as we close the door on March.  It floods through the window as we welcome it and say farewell to the Winter darkness.  One of my favorite poems by Emily Dickinson, she says it all so eloquently.  Easter is a time to embrace the Spring light.

A light exists in spring

A light exists in spring
Not present on the year
At any other period.
When March is scarcely here

A color stands abroad
On solitary hills
That science cannot overtake,
But human naturefeels.

It waits upon the lawn;
It shows the furthest tree
Upon the furthest slope we know;
It almost speaks to me.

Then, as horizons step,
Or noons report away,
Without the formula of sound,
It passes, and we stay:

A quality of loss
Affecting our content,
As trade had suddenly encroached
Upon a sacrament. 

5 comments:

Woodside Park said...

Thanks for sharing this poem. Lovely! My dogs love following the spring sunlight from room to room. They really enjoy laying in the warmth of that sunshine.
Have a wonderful Easter!!

annie@mostlovelythings said...

Perfect images to go along with this poem...It is so true about light this time of year. Happy Easter Patricia!
xo
annie

MJH Design Arts said...

Happy Easter. Thank you for sharing The Light. One of this things I miss most in Southern California is the changing quality of light; the freshness and anticipation of new light and life.
Mary

Acquired Objects said...

What a beautiful poem Patricia and I've been noticing the light for a few weeks now and love it. Spring is finally showing itself around here and I'm excited! Happy Easter to you too Patricia I hope you and your family have a wonderful day.

XXX
Debra~

Formerly known as Frau said...

Beautiful! I love the light coming in....except when it shows my dusty floors! lol!

Happy Easter!