Tuesday, March 09, 2010

soft air

There is something so intoxicating about the soft air of spring. To me, spring feels like a time to clean, a time to polish and for our very own awareness to come unwrapped. The morning light, the added daylight allow one to see the essentials of our life. Making seasonal lists gives me a guideline. It is all about designing an artful life, be it writing, illustrating, creating one's day.

Start by making a list of essentials to follow to realize the reward of your promise.
My Father told me that having children was one of life's greatest rewards. He told me that it is essential that you pay close attention to their minds and to find promise within each being. Fathers give good sound advice. Fast forward to yesterday, my son came home wanting to know if I had ever read any of "Jack Kerouac's " books. He had me, in a nano-second, I was full of intrigue. I asked him to read to me, so he did. The words felt like soft air on my neck.

Then I wanted to know more about him. Here is a list of thirty essentials for writers. What is on your list? Soft or Hot air?
  1. Scribbled secret notebooks, and wild typewritten pages, for your own joy
  2. Submissive to everything, open, listening
  3. Try never get drunk outside your own house
  4. Be in love with your life
  5. Something that you feel will find its own form
  6. Be crazy dumbsaint of the mind
  7. Blow as deep as you want to blow
  8. Write what you want bottomless from bottom of the mind
  9. The unspeakable visions of the individual
  10. No time for poetry but exactly what is
  11. Visionary tics shivering in the chest
  12. In tranced fixation dreaming upon object before you
  13. Remove literary, grammatical and syntactical inhibition
  14. Like Proust be an old teahead of time
  15. Telling the true story of the world in interior monolog
  16. The jewel center of interest is the eye within the eye
  17. Write in recollection and amazement for yourself
  18. Work from pithy middle eye out, swimming in language sea
  19. Accept loss forever
  20. Believe in the holy contour of life
  21. Struggle to sketch the flow that already exists intact in mind
  22. Don't think of words when you stop but to see picture better
  23. Keep track of every day the date emblazoned in yr morning
  24. No fear or shame in the dignity of yr experience, language & knowledge
  25. Write for the world to read and see yr exact pictures of it
  26. Bookmovie is the movie in words, the visual American form
  27. In praise of Character in the Bleak inhuman Loneliness
  28. Composing wild, undisciplined, pure, coming in from under, crazier the better
  29. You're a Genius all the time
  30. Writer-Director of Earthly movies Sponsored & Angeled in Heaven

21 comments:

Unknown said...

Spring air is so intoxicating! Especially early spring air, after a winter like this. That list reads like poetry, some of it speaking to me, some of it completely over my head. Much like I find JK's writing, but I like it all the same.

pve design said...

Zhush,
I guess the intrigue lies in sort of a cryptic list.
It is good to stretch, to go over one's head and to feel that the list one makes is poetry in motion.
Thanks as always for your kind words.
pve

the NEO-traditionalist said...

Ohhh I'm a huge Kerouac fan. Love the way his words, and those of all the beat generation poets, roll off the tongue. What a beautiful post. XO Katie

Mrs. Blandings said...

I always feel like I am, "Did you know...?" "Don't you wonder....?" I love it when they are bringing me the shiny bits.

pve design said...

NEO-
yes, the words do walk to a different beat and do roll of one's tongue. Love to know what you are reading about?
pve

Mrs.Blandings -
Just yesterday, the same said son, had me with "Who can I have a conversation with about existentialism?
Who Mom?
pve

JMW said...

Great list and wonderful post! So great that your son is reading Kerouac. I am thrilled that spring is here. I am starting to feel better already, now that the sun is up earlier, the birds are chirping and the flowers are budding!

Kwana said...

Interesting list. On mine I'll admit to some soft and maybe some hot air to weed out. I'm so happy for the Spring soft air to come. Very nice.

Debra said...

Spring is such a time of renewal.
Making a list and not keeping it is only letting down one's own self. Trick is to have some hot, some soft...and some just right.
I think you asked about Kerouacs recently and I misunderstood the last name. Book of Sketches is one you might like.

TSL said...

What an intoxicating post, thank you for it. I will keep this in my mind when I go outside and do a little leave picking up in the yard. Rain is on the way, the air and your words will keep me company.

TSL said...

Oops, that is "leaf" picking up

pve design said...

Tina,
I have some leaves and some branches to pick up here - it is on my list to do.
Thanks for your wonderful comments.
pve

Karena said...

Patricia.....Beautiful thoughts, may I copy and print your list to put above my Desk? How inspiring.
Karena
Art by Karena

pve design said...

Karena,
the list is not mine, but the list of 30 essentials from Jack Kerouac! Written so long ago -
Love to see your list....
pve

Catherine said...

Such an inspiring post. I once wrote down a quote from JK's book "On the Road" that read, "...they danced around the streets like dingledodies, and I shambled after as I've been doing all my life after people who interest me, because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirious of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awwww!"

Happy spring air to you. Trina

BALLET NEWS said...

I cannot wait for the soft air of Spring.

Acanthus and Acorn said...

Patricia,

Simply wonderful...all of it!

Belle on Heels said...

i've never heard it described as 'soft air', but that is the perfect term for spring! love it.

Formerly known as Frau said...

beautiful post...I'm so happy of the thought of Spring. Our snow is slowly melting and I dream of taking a walk without hat, gloves and down coat. Soon!

pve design said...

Frau,
I know, but I think my down coat covers any sins so as much as I want spring and soft air, I need to do a few sit-ups!!
pve

Janet said...

That soft air greeted me as I walked out of the door this morning. It was like getting a hug.

pve design said...

Janet -
you have a way with words, each comment feels like a soft embrace.
pve