Monday, February 25, 2008

Statuesque


And the Oscar goes to me!  ( that is  pure statue envy here.)

Statuesqueness inspires me.  From the time I was a little girl, my mother loved to bring me (and a loaf of stale bread) to the Cave Hill cemetery to feed the ducks, admire the swans and the statues erected in loving memory.   We also visited the Speed Art Museum and I admired the Thinker, by Rodin.  I often dreamed of what my very own statue would look like and thought about my very own statue.  I also love the Mermaid Statue in Copenhagen and how she would love to just be free to swim.

Give me a really splendid statue to marvel at anytime.  This illustration was made to honor a women living with time for a really great rhyme.  I also love the way a statue takes on a certain patina over time. Ponder the statue of Liberty with her torch and glorious crown in honor of liberty, a gift from France to the U.S. We all need to take a stand for something. What would your statue look like?  Do you have someone in mind that needs a gift, perhaps a statue will do.  What a nice way to pay a statuesque homage.

9 comments:

Mrs. Limestone said...

Really lovely. Very joan of arc in a way. What is she holding?

Kwana said...

I don't know what mine would look like, but I do know yours would have a brush in her hand in place of the torch.

pve design said...

mrs. limestone,
she is holding a large clock to symbolize time, a scroll
is unfurled with verses and the ink bottle and quill nearby and a bird of course has landed to keep her thoughts in flight!
oh, the illustration of your brooklyn limestone is ready when you are!

pve design said...

dear kwana,
your statue would be a bronze, manuscripts as the base and something similar to one of my favorite girls -the statue in savannah, the girl with 2 birdbaths -
do you know her? pride and prejudice inspired somehow...
of course, jack would be nipping at your toes.
patricia

Tara said...

Isn't your illustration marvelous...my statue is of a Mom holding up her hand with a bird ready to fly off, just like our babies when they leave the nest!

Unknown said...

I wish I had your artistic talent! What a gift you have. I also love the dining room you featured below--I love an eclectic mix of chairs too...

Mary-Laure said...

I love statues too. They are like friendly presences in the city, watching over us through time.

design dna said...

i love the scrolls and feather pen. i also love your liberty lady/sailboat/flag artwork, tho i think that is on your website...

London Calling said...

"a scroll unfurled with verses...thoughts in flight"-so poetic!