Thursday, February 28, 2008

project pve design way




The other day while organizing my portfolios, I came across one of my projects from college.
Often, I really cannot stand to look at my work until years later and then it all comes rushing back to me.  These fashion illustrations were part of a project that would address the needs of a working woman ( Yes it was during the 80's- note those shoulder pads!) and I have always loved big city black and white style.  As a child, I would visit fabric stores and dream of fabrics, notions, and sewing machines. (I will save this for another post dedicated to fabrics)  Guess I would have been a perfect candidate for project runway, but then again, maybe not.  Could I handle the pressure and all that scrutiny?  Knowing what I know now, I think I would love it.

This project was a really satisfying one for me as I was about to move to the big bad apple and these dresses, coat dresses, I might add really came in handy for my interviews.  My favorite memory was meeting my in-laws sporting the black and white glen plaid and I was even brave enough to wear red stockings.   I have always admired classics with a twist.  I need to feel part of the class, but a little artsy side needs that spark to really complete me.  I call it the pve design way.  Do you have a special way that completes your project to make it your very own?

7 comments:

Hazel Martin Designs said...

Your style is truly magnificent. I love the post about writers. I am not one yet...

Hazel Martin Designs said...

PVE Thanks so much for all the truly nice comments! I really need it today!

Kwana said...

I love these. They are 80's to the coolest!

pve design said...

Kwana,
I knew you would! I will be posting some other circa fashion day work soon! Fasten your belt!
PVE

Eileen said...

As usual I love your work. Thanks again for helping me set up my blog. I also LOVE my tennis shirt!!!! I want more we have to go to Steve & Bari.

Hazel Martin Designs said...

Thanks so much! You are right! It's just stressful when you do the right thing sometimes. I've had a family of4 staying with my family of 4 this week and there's so much drama! But...it makes me appreciate the life I live!

Brilliant Asylum said...

You keep surprising us with all of your talents! I STILL cannot look at my college projects. Red walls and furniture set an an angle? Yikes. It was the 90's though and "Friends" probably had more of an influence on my young style than I care to admit.

I too hate standing out (lest someone discover I am a true weirdo), but hate blending in. Yes, I am fully in tune with the PVE way.