Friday, January 08, 2010

folksy



There is a certain element or thread that connects me to other artists, be it a kindred spirit or just knowing that the joy found in creating leads my eye to those who I admire for just being down to earth and folksy.

Meet Maija Isola. Now that you see her designs, you will probably say, oh, I know that marimekko pattern. I guess that is really all one would need, one folksy flower print to land them on the map. A folksy flower loved by so many.

As the New Year has opened with a fresh calendar, it seems everything jumps out at me to be "freshened up" and so I found this wonderfully crisp blocky print (Maija designed this too) shower curtain which will prompt me to give my bath a fresh coat of paint and liven things up with some "blue." I love all white, but feeling like a bit of pattern is now welcome.

I thought these towels were sweet too. I guess I need to thank Maia for causing me to want to bring some fun and folksy finnish patterns to my home.

Here she is later in life. I love her casual and effortless Scandinavian style. So tell me, are there any folks causing you to freshen up for the New Year?


9 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the Maija & Marimekko prints for your bathroom. There is something so fresh and comforting about blue and white.
Best wishes for 2010!
Regards
Patricia

Debra said...

Honestly, I remember Marimekko from so many years ago when I used her fabrics for my son's nursery. The patterns are still bright and fresh. I love anything blue and white. What a nice project for the New Year Patricia-everything new.

Helen James said...

Love marimekko prints, a friend of my mothers gave me some old travelling trunks a few years ago and when opened to my delight the "scraps of fabric" inside were cut offs of marimekko (and other) amazing prints. I have done very little with them but feel some cushions coming on!!!

Acanthus and Acorn said...

I've stopped by here many times, it's always so happy and beautiful. Blue and white does convey a fresh start for me too.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Those prints are wonderful. I love Marimekko!
And there is nothing nicer than to find kindred spirits in art!

Happy weekend, Patricia!

XX
Victoria

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Love her cheekbones as well!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Heather said...

I love that shower curtain! It will look great!
Do you mind sharing where you found it? I'd actually like to cover a cushion in that fabric...