Thursday, January 17, 2008

quick sketch

Many of my clients admire the fact that I am a "quick sketch" and have mastered the ability to freely illustrate quickly.   The thrill for me as an artist is to literally draw upon my vision and "get it out" with speed.  Some of my best work has been done in such a fast and fluid way that I often feel it is just part of the process.  Whenever I be-labour a drawing or get hung up on an idea it produces a forced result.  That said, rushing is no good but setting up a deadline or a goal provides me a bit of steam to stay motivated to being an artist and working with a purpose.  Unless I catch what is known as the dreaded "Artist's Virus" and that is when something out of your control interferes with your ability to draw and finish a project.  I know that I am not alone, many writers as well as other artists say,  they've come down with the "virus" and I can actually hear it in their voice.  

I guess the thrill of the speed of my craft is my sport.  Another artist who loves speed is ski racer Tracie Max Sachs.  She is known as the "Quick Chick" and flies down the mountain at speeds well over 100 miles per hour, setting the current record in the world for a woman's speed skier.   I really love her red suit and my quick sketch is what I think I'd like my speed suit to look like.
My sponsor would be Micron, they make these fine line archival ink pens that I use and love.   All my clients, family and friends would be there cheering me on
but I really can't hear them because I am in my own world.
I wonder if her heart beats a little faster like mine does when I am flying around the paper with my pen or be it a brush.   It is a rush for me!  A looming deadline is ahead of me and I must be a quick sketch to cross the finish line.   I wonder if quick chick ever catches the dreaded virus in pursuit of her craft.
Love to hear all about what thrills you as you work towards crossing your own personal finish line.  Do tell!


6 comments:

Kwana said...

Great Sketch, Patricia. I work best when under pressure. As a writer I have to give myself goals and dealines in order to get the work done. Otherwise, I could labor over a scene for weeks and not make any forward progress. Speed is wonderful when you can use it in a creative way to let go of fear and let creativity flow.

C+SK said...

Your drawings are just so wonderful! Really!

I love your style and I wish I could draw even a little bit. I am studying interior design and the part that is scaring me the most are free-hand sketches and watercolours. But I find inspiration in your blog and your work. Thank you!

pve design said...

Art & fear is a great book to read to get you going.
That and some new art supplies. Love a great journal and just make it part of your daily life. Finding your style is the key to making it free and easy.

C+SK said...

Thank you for the book recommendation! I will read it! I do have the journal... empty... for fear of making really ugly drawings, not worthy of a journal... :-)

Mrs. Blandings said...

The turn of one phrase is usually all it takes -but sometimes it is days and days in coming.

Unknown said...

I've admired your work on other design blogs and I think that a large part of the charm of your style is the virtual snapshot, caught in the moment, feeling it evokes. So few artists can cultivate a truly unique look. Your's is working for you1
Jackie