Friday, January 04, 2008

Little Red Entry


Come in to this little red entry that I was commissioned to paint for a client.  It reminds me of my days when I worked in "Thornbury's Toy Store" and "Red" was the number one color for that new Schwinn Bicycle, or Little Red Wagon.   The store does not exist anymore but I still see the monkey on the red bike which was the store mascot.  Red makes me smile.  Nothing like red lips or nails to make people stop and take note.  I wonder if that is what Red Riding Hood was really after, a little attention sporting her red hood.

Historically speaking, red is also associated with royalty but to me it is one of the most playful in the palette.  A dear friend only dressed her children in primary red, blue and yellow which to me sounded like a simple solution for entering into the world, confident, happy and ready for a good "Lego" play-date.   Pink or soft blue pale by comparison.

Red certainly provides a rich stage for the owner's framed canine collection.  Nick, Knack, patty-whack, give a dog a bone and he'll come rolling home into a little red entry.  Oh, by the way - the owner is a little red ruby of a client.  She came back for more art and is acquiring a "black" chest to put in place of the table and to go in her little red entry.  I'll be back with a post on, yes, you got it -"black!"

6 comments:

Mrs. Blandings said...

If we get a peak at your work on a regular basis, I am going to be one happy reader indeed. Wonderful. And I am having a "red" moment myself.

Kwana said...

Patricia, what a beautiful piece! Now, I have to fight to stop myself from painting a room red this weekend. You're so inspiring.

ALL THE BEST said...

I love it!! Red is one of my very favorite colors!

Unknown said...

Hi Patricia
Welcome to the Blogging world. I am looking forward to reading your posts and feasting my eyes on your fantastic art work. I love how you have rendered the color Red in this delightful entry.
Kind Regards to you and all the very best for 2008!!!!

Ellen Gerstein said...

Welcome to the blogosphere! Your writing is as special as your artwork! I look forward to being inspired!

annechovie said...

Beautiful rendering, Patricia!