Thursday, November 29, 2012

in the raw

 On Thanksgiving day, one guest brought a beautiful raw kale salad that she literally massaged with lemon juice, garlic, onion, mirin rice wine, olive oil, salt and served as a side dish.  It was an incredibly refreshing companion to many traditional thanksgiving sides.  Another guest brought a raw salad with the most lovely dressing.  Both salads were a refreshing addition to a Classic Thanksgiving.
One dear guest and wonderful (blog) friend began her journey of eating "in the raw" several months ago and the benefits have been amazing to watch as well as be inspired by this lovely lady.  She has lost weight, has more energy and has embraced eating raw as a way of life.  The other guests were all a bit envious of her svelte and sexy figure in her stunning little black dress.  Here she is with her daughter who complimented her mother on her discipline and transformation.  Did I mention she is the Mother of four children?
I think a good way to start with eating more raw is to replace a meal with a raw salad.  As we enter into the holiday season and plates of sweets tempt each of us, dedicating one meal to raw, green, freshness will add vitality to your body and mind.  Perhaps you might be interested in eating raw, please visit "Art House Design" - Victoria will be happy to inspire you by adding raw radiance in your life, your diet and your home.


14 comments:

The Buzz Blog said...

We can't go a day without a large green salad chock full of veggies... But would have a hard time giving up our favorite French cheeses if we went completely "raw". We also admire the discipline it takes to do so! Would love that kale salad recipe.
xxoo
C + C

Acquired Objects said...

Love eating "raw" but I don't think I could do it full time. I would like to try your friends kale salad it sounds fabulous.

XXX
Debra~

Jennifer C. Webb said...

I read the book Clean recently which made me incorporate kale into my diet. Yet to go raw or even find the discipline to follow the Clean program but at least making more effort to eat fresh and organic

That salad would be so refreshing after salt infused, carb heavy holiday dishes. Bravo to your friend...and her little black dress

annie@mostlovelythings said...

That kale salad looks delicious!

Formerly known as Frau said...

Wow she looks amazing!

Unknown said...

Oh, dear friend, you made me blush....Thank you!
You know how raw I feel today....

To clarify it to all your friendly readers: I am not 100% raw. I would say around 75%....
But salads and fresh vegetables are wonderful to accompany any meal to at least half.
Here is to the next 50 years.....

Melissa Blake said...

Yummy! Looks delicious!

MJH Design Arts said...

I think that I could go for raw smoothies, the trouble is that the green just does not look appealing. I wish I could relish Kale, my daughter keeps telling me how wonderful it is....however, I do eat tons of broccoli and spinach, beans...does that count?
Have a wonderful week-end.
Mary

Barb said...

yes, bit by bit, meal by meal would be a do-able way to incorporate raw into more of our diet. Your friend is beautiful....and having had 4 kids! Fantastic.

pve design said...

Thank-you to each of you for your comments. I am washing my kale now to make this salad so that at lunch time it is all ready - set- to enjoy!
pve

Living Life in the Lowcountry said...

I love sauteed Kale and now this is the second time I've heard of a raw Kale salad! I must try!

BRASWELL said...

Raw kale is wonderful and is delicious cooked also. Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

Diane said...

That salad looks fabulous! Will have to try that combination. I wonder if the dressing was made with a mortar and pestle, as it looks creamier, similar to one I make for Caesar salad. Something about all the overly rich foods this time of year makes me want to eat more salads too, and we are lucky to have some good markets for fresh produce!

Brooke said...

uggghh, i want to like kale salads. i really do, but they kinda gag me. I won't give up. I actually like green beans and asparagus now so why can't i develop a taste for kale? i think i can, i think i can.