Wednesday, August 20, 2008

white treatment

She sent me for a virtual "white treatment."
Nothing forced or pretentious - just fresh white to make it all right.

A massage is always good for taking one away from the daily hum drum.
The masseuse inquires, "And what will we be working on today?" I reply, I need the swedish massage, the one that works out all the knots and knarls - you see, I have spent too much time in a hospital and the emergency room in the past week. Not for me, but for my most valued sons - one had an elective surgery and the other a horrible virus. Both on the mend.
This would have been the perfect waiting room for me. I have figured out what is ailing our health care industry. Have you seen the horrible furniture and the lighting in our Hospitals?Hospitals need designers to infuse feel good waiting rooms and hospital rooms.   Two of my favorite childhood characters, "Curious George" and "Madeline" both making trips to the hospital were always inspiring to me.  But reality is that todays hospitals are enough to make one run away and hide.   If only there were these chairs like this -in the waiting room, they are calling me. Come sit and we will comfort you.  

I am feeling so much better and like I said, I am not even sick. No, I am never supposed to say that, because that is the jinx of it for me now. Anyway, just thinking about this cottage makes me want to get away. I would return and friends would say, "Dahling, you look fabulous" - and I would reply, it is a new treatment, "the white treatment." Just a few days spent in an all white cottage and I feel cleansed.


Nothing like white to cleanse the palette, spirit and soul for a heavenly bit of rest and relaxation. Ready to go back to reality and face the infirmary at my place. I can already predict those of you that would want to book a "white treatment."

29 comments:

Things That Inspire said...

I adore white rooms, particularly in the kitchen and the bedroom. There is nothing like a fresh white kitchen - it makes everything seem so light and bright. Blue and white are my favorites in the bedroom - always have been.

I was just watching a show called 'Stagers', and they like to use white sofas in homes they stage because it makes the room feel big and fresh. They did admit that they never recommend white sofas for their residential design clients, though, because within 4 months the sofa is filthy! I guess that is where slipcovers come in handy.

Marnie said...

hope everyone is on the mend at your house

Tara said...

Hi Patricia

Sorry to hear about your sons...at least school is not yet in session! White is my favorite color (or non-color, I don't know)...I could easily spend time here!
:0)
Tara

Kwana said...

Wouldn't that be lovely a week away for the white treatment? It has been a trying week, eh? Here's hoping this is the end and for a calm school year.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

I agree with you about hospital waiting rooms! You're already anxious enough when you are there, but the bad lighting and uncomfortable institutional furniture does not help!! Gives me the heebe geebies just thinking about it!
I hope your son is recovering quickly and nicely!

Marie Louise said...

Hey - this place is just a short drive from my house. I can always have you committed! I wish someone would force a little R & R on me ;-)

pve design said...

marie-louise,
thought that you'd love that....I was inspired by your cottage post. love to meet you there one day.
happy end of august.
pve

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

I love your white treatment! I do believe I'll stand in line for one, too! Ahhhh

tyler said...

me, me, me! simply serene. what a perfect escape. glad to hear your guys are on the mend.

and thank you again for the kindest sketch of our sweet pup.

erika said...

were you thinking of me? I need a double dose of white treatment!

Vana said...

i need some white and blue treatment....

Mrs. Limestone said...

Don't you just love all white hotel rooms. Aside from the pure relaxation of it - you just know its spotless.

Im with you - hospitals could learn a thing or two from hotels ;)

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

You are so painfully correct about hospital decor. I have long lamented the state of waiting rooms, hospital rooms and doctor's offices. As someone who is really affected by my surroundings, I do not think this type of environment is healing, or even healthy.

I'm so sorry you have had a tough week and hope you can retreat to the white serenity of that pictured room in your mind for a while!

So glad everyone is better now!

littlebyrd said...

oh no! Sorry to hear about your sons! What a week. Glad to know you are taking care of yourself - this definitely looks like the place to do it!

Robin said...

Hope everything is well with your sons and that you get a chance to partake of this white therapy soon. And you are right, hospitals cold learn a thing or two from hotels!

Kim said...

You know you are soooo right about the "tacky" hospital rooms!! Obviously, I've been in a few in the past few years and they are just right gross!!

Melissa Lewis said...

Hope everything is better Patricia!!! I love this all white look, so serene and peaceful.

London Calling said...

Hope both your sons are well and fine! Spent too much of my time in hospital rooms to deny. Those rooms could do with some creature comforts.

Mrs.French said...

I need a bit too. I am sending healthy vibes your way!

simply seleta said...

I so love your white treatment today! I wanted to curl up on one of those white slipcovered wingbacks!

I hope the boys are doing better, BTW. And mom too!

Fifi Flowers said...

Pretty cottage!
You're right hospital could stand to cozy up their interior design.
Hope your sons are getting better... hang in there mom!

patricia zapata said...

White is so wonderful in so many ways. I'd love our home to go more in that direction. These photos are very inspiring.

Glad to hear that your sons are ok now.

N said...

I love the idea of white...I just know I could never carry it out!

It does inspire me to put bits of "lightness"...white or cream...in all my rooms, however.

Glad to hear the trials are over and much goodness to keep it that way.

Tess Kincaid said...

White is so serene and peaceful, isn't it? I recently changed my bed linens to all white and I absolutely love it. Sigh.

Angela said...

oh my gosh, how savvy. but i will have to ban my family and friends with small children. : )

Nantucket Mermaid said...

Love that white! I found another set of white rooms here http://www.tinyk.com/blog/2008/08/06/jason-loucas/

My Notting Hill said...

So happy to read your sons are on the mend. That sounds like a stressful week.

Have white slipcovered club chairs in our basement rec room and love throwing them in the wash. I washed and dried (shrunk) the fabric first before they were made - really makes a difference.

la la Lovely said...

Oh a white treatment sounds just wonderful... white is so peaceful and relaxing to me. I do hope you are all doing better.....what a tough week!

Erin Gates said...

This is the property where I got married! http://insideweddings.com/real-weddings/193/a-match-made-in-heaven/
Except the Cottage, shown here, was not done yet when I got hitched! :( Boo! But one of my bridesmaids is getting married there is 2 weeks as well!