Monday, August 04, 2008

all over a plume

said found "plume" ( one of 2)
Just the other day, my daughter came running to me as we were on our way from the parking lot to our pool club, "Mommy, look what I found!"  Lo and behold, a lovely plume from a peacock. I had to think, I have never seen a peacock around here.  Like I have said before, my life is dedicated to create and to inspire an artful life and perhaps there is a larger, grander plan for me, sort of like that story, "chicken little the sky is falling."  This time it is "peacock feathers!"

Charles d"Orbigney 1807 - Wikepedia
( I love the pencil back-ground which pops the peacock)
Whenever I see a peacock, I cannot be help to think how the feathers they drag behind look like that of a train on a haute-couture dress or that of a wedding dress. If you have ever worn a dress with a train, there is a certain elegance and a weight that controls your movement to a regal promenade, similar to that of a peacock train of feathers. It feels like that of a custom weighted drape that spills on the floor, sweeping up puddles. What a gorgeous creature with a dressmaker train, designed by nature.

Mr. Peacock posing for the camera while we in Florida
Look at this stunning peacock, how happy was I when he posed for the photo when we were in Florida a few years ago. I must admit that peacock blue is electric. For Fall I am looking for yarn to knit something for my neck, a scarf, or perhaps a long necked sweater in some brilliant shade of  "peacock blue." 

I would wear it while having a cup of tea, and eating apricots and fresh figs on this dinnerware found in the Anthropology catalogue. For only twenty dollars, I can have a dinner plate or a bowl for $16 for my morning cereal which would certainly make for an elegant start to my day.

Like I have said, Inspiration comes in many forms and I hope that you take time to look for the clues which are often found, stepped upon or fall from the sky.

14 comments:

Ann Marie said...

I love peacocks. There is an art school here in Austin where I have taken several classes over the years, and there are many peacocks that roam the grounds. They are quite the inspiring creature. However, a word of warning...they like to get on your car and will scratch the living daylights out of the paint!

pve design said...

that girl -
Love to see some of your peacock inspired designs!
pve

Anonymous said...

I love this post! Where I grew up- we had a neighbor who had peacocks. We always had feathers around our house- they are beautiful creatures! You're post took me back a few years... ;)

Ellen Gerstein said...

Here's the difference between you and me.

You see peacock and see art.

I see a memory of the time I was attacked by one, at a library event in Knoxville TN. Darn thing came at me full speed and tried to maul me. I freak out when I see them walking around at the Bronx Zoo now.

Unfortunately, I seem to have passed this fear to my daughter. I should show her your post and get her thinking about how pretty they can be, that is, when they are not trying to maul you.

Parisbreakfasts said...

Gorgeous!
Peacocks are "in" it seems...

London Calling said...

The wiki illustration is gorgeous. Loving the color with the black and white batground as well.

Easy and Elegant Life said...

Mrs. E. and I have a soft spot for them... During a jaunt to St. Tropez we visited the fort, and found a peacock feather. A few weeks later, while we were showing some friends around that same fort, Mrs. E. came upon a mass of peacock feathers under a bush! What a treasure to grace the table in the villa!

They were, unfortunately, still in use. There was much consternation from all involved.

I should order a couple of the plates for her....

Fifi Flowers said...

We have a fabulous place here in Southern California... the Arboretum in Arcadia... it has peacocks all over... and they are gorgeous! In college I did a photo project there about the peacocks.
I also... almost killed a peacock one day... my son still reminds me... thank goodness for good brakes! I hear there is quite a step fine for killing one... ugh!

la la Lovely said...

Peacocks are amazing and gorgeous. I love the painting and the plates. And would love to what you knit when you do!

N said...

I like peacocks, but it saddens me that it's the male bird with the beautiful train. As you post, it's certainly deserving of a lady.

SimplyGrove said...

I just love peacocks! Great post!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

How very true. And, don't you just love the Anthropologie stores!

simply seleta said...

Look at you with all of your peacock blue! Love it all, especially those plates.

You better post your end result scarf or turtleneck for Fall!!!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Oh I love these! peacocks are among my favorite animals. I have a blown glass christmas ornament of a peacock with a real feather tail -really cute.
I remember in the park in Madrid behind and below the royal palace they have peacocks just wandering around. I was there alone during siesta one day walking around and must have intruded on their territory - nearly got attacked! Pretty birds but NOT friendly!