Monday, March 19, 2012

monday motivation - about-face

I adore this work of art, by Gerhard Richter.
 What courage to paint a portrait in such a brave way.
Does this make you do an "about-face" too?  I want to gently tap her on the shoulder and call "Betty" to turn around and show us her face.  I can feel so much of her spirit with her modesty yet her boldness with the choice of brightly playful patterned jacket.
 One of my all time favorite paintings and artists, "Ella" by Gerhard Richter.  I always wanted to know if there was any relation since my Great Grandmother was a Richter too.  What I love the most about this work of art is how one readily is brought in to her tenderness, like the blossom of a flower.  It is less about the face and more about capturing the spirit of one's inner self.  I love the traditional feminine colors and the gentleness of her upturned lips.
Here is a self portrait Gerhard painted of himself.  I find it completely mysterious and alluring.   Although his face is blurred, I want to know more about him.  At 76 he is one of the world's greatest painters.  Did you know that when he began, none of his paintings sold and now his paintings are some of the most expensive in the Art world.  Motivation requires willingness to stick with something and to stay the course.

16 comments:

13threads said...

What a great post! And I absolutely love the first portrait.

Acquired Objects said...

These are stunning works of art! I thought that first picture was a photograph.....fabulous!

XX
Debra~

The Buzz Blog said...

Stunning and beautiful! That first picture is so mysterious and his work has an ethereal quality to it. Happy Monday!
xxoo

Purple Flowers said...

This great Artist certainly knows how to capture the inner spirit, as well as the allure of the individual. Beautiful.

Formerly known as Frau said...

They are beautiful.....I've never seen them before...I'm in awe !

quintessence said...

LOVE this post. Adore Richter as well and love your thoughtful comments on the artist and his work!

I Dream Of said...

What a terrific post for facing the Monday music. I want to learn more about Richter, love his story and his work.
Happy Monday, Patricia.

Maia said...

They are very powerful - it's difficult to tear your eyes away once you look. Amazing work.

Unknown said...

He is amazing, I love all his works, While in Berlin there was a huge Gerhard Richter retrospective of the last 20 years of his work, incredible. The waiting line was 4 hours long! I did not get in!
I love these subtle portraits.

PS: My mother is a Richter too...
A very common name to be true... maybe we have both connections?

Kwana said...

These are all beautiful.

Unknown said...

What beautiful artwork! Truly makes you stop and look twice!!!

Wasn't today just gorgeous?! I have to admit, just sensing Spring gave me a bounce, or shall I say, spring in my step!!!

xo Elizabeth

Emily said...

I never knew about his work. I love the paintings you showed us. Thank you. It is motivating to see what a human can create with a brush and paint.

Lisa Mende said...

I love Gerhardt Richter. Especially love the piece hanging in Kate Spade's house. Great post.

Unknown said...

What an inspiration to all of us artists! To keep on going!

designchic said...

What an amazing talent and I love the mystery these images evoke. The first one is fabulous!!

annie@mostlovelythings said...

This is a wonderful and informative post. I love the first one too...you just so want to see her face.