Thursday, July 22, 2010

folding chairs


Several years ago, I paid a mere forty dollars for two folding chairs that look just like this but without the handle. A neighbor, a kind german lady sold them to me as she was moving to an assisted living spot and needed to just take only what she needed. For many years, I spoke to her while waiting at the bus. She would time her walks and I was always happy to see her and hear her lovely german accent.
A visitor told me that my chairs looked like they were designed by Hans. You know Hans, son of a cobbler and modernist danish designer. He designed the "Wishbone" chair along with this folding chair. For years we had metal folding chairs as a practical placeholder til we could afford proper chairs. If only I had known about these lovely folding chairs.

Somehow, I think he must have been inspired by his military days and his desire for engineering a functional folding chair. The above chair is available here.
Give a boy some wood, some sticks and some string or rope and let the mind create.
Which one do you prefer the blonde or the ebony chair?
Let the chips fall, and the chairs fold, my chairs were a lucky find even if they are a knock off the old block.

15 comments:

The Buzz Blog said...

Both the blonde and the ebony are great chairs - would be hard to choose given such great design. And the wishbone folding chair is so fabulous, I'd want to be the extra guest who got to sit on it!

David Toms said...

Love all of them, however would have to say the blond. So hard these days to find a good folding chair of good design for a reasonable price.

Gretchen O. said...

What a nice story...for some reason I am drawn to the blonde, b/c as you know they DO have more fun:):) he he. Anyhoo, thanks again for sharing.

--G

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

The blonde, looks fresh...love hearing the stories behind pieces people have! Janell

Kwana said...

I like the Ebony for your outside area.

Purple Flowers said...

The blonde is more Euro looking. I prefer that. But you also need to take in the other surroundings (patio etc.)

Unknown said...

I think I'm having a black moment - I'm drawn to the black one! I love high contrast....and I think I would pair them with something lighter. Love the story of how you got yours. xo E

JMW said...

Ooo, I really like the ebony one, although the blonde is lovely, too. Lucky you that you were able to "inherit" a set of the chairs. I'm sure they look great in your home!

Southern Lady said...

I really like the ebony chair. Lucky you to get two great chairs. Carla

Anonymous said...

Both amazing, but would have to pick the ebony!

xo

Eddie & Jaithan

pve design said...

The Buzz-
Be my guest! Hope you all are enjoying the summer.
pve

David,
You would say the blond!
pve

Gretchen,
Blondes do have more fun....time for some high-lites!
pve

Janell-
Love hearing all your behind the scene stories....too.
pve

Kwana,
I love the ebony chair too. I am loving contrast lately.
pve

PF-
Yes taking into account the setting is good advice.
pve

PPT-
Your chair will have a pretty pillow!!
pve

Eddie & Jaithan~
yep, I am glad you both chimed in and like the ebony!
pve

Mariska Meijers said...

what would life be like if we would have all the knowledge? there would never be anything to learn, no suprises....:))
I would go for ebony not out of knowledge but it is in the air.
xox

style chronicle said...

Wow! These are some good looking folding chairs. Target makes some great bamboo ones too!

Unknown said...

PVE,

I prefer the ebony it has a timeless appeal about it.

Bette

Hill Country House Girl said...

Patricia,

This is such a coincidence that you will probably think I am making it up, but I swear I am not! I found some folding chairs a few years ago that look like the Hans folding chairs, minus the handle. In fact, I came home and looked up the original design and looked all over mine just to make sure they weren't marked anywhere - wishful thinking, of course. I have just put them in my daughter's room to jump start a new look for her. I planned to post about them as they look in her new room. So, I did a brief post and then linked to yours as you did such a nice job of telling the story of Hans Wegner and his current designs available. Hope you don't mind. Oh, and I love the ebony!