Friday, July 30, 2010

birds of a feather

"a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"

Many ask me about my pve design logo, many want to know the story behind the birds. I chose David Hartman, a graphic designer and family member to design this logo for me. David has known me since he fell in love with my sister long ago. He knew me when I was called names like "bird legs" and "treeba" when I was growing up in Kentucky. I wanted a logo that would be clean, fresh and easy to spot, just like a cardinal bird.

A series of initial designs were done and the one that sung the most to me were the pair of birds on the brush. After all, the state bird is the cardinal, it seemed only fitting that this bird be part of my logo. The female is green and my love of green was inspired by my Grandma Elizabeth who loved the energy of the color of the Spring green grass.

Most of my work is one part collaboration and one part creating a unique illustration for each client.
I have always had a fascination with illustrating places, people, pets, parties and more importantly to make others happy with my art. One of my earliest memories as a child, was when President Kennedy was shot, I remember everyone being so solemn. The television was on and in black and white (mind you) and the world seemed so dark. Then shortly after, my Grandma Elsie passed away and more sadness needed artwork. At the age of 3, I resorted to draw pretty colorful pictures to make all those sad faces smile.
To this day, my work makes me as well as others smile. With each work of art, I feel as though I am spreading rays of happiness. For years, I have been creating a look, or a body of artwork for myself as well as others. My intent as an artist was to find contentment and that I have achieved two-fold.

Shortly after the launch of my web-site in 2007, I landed on a wonderful blog
"All the best" and it was then that I learned about blogs. {Part of my want of a web site was to be able to reach clients world-wide, check!} I reached out to several bloggers to collaborate on artwork for them, for this thing called a blog header or banner. It was for All the best that I illustrated her blog banner, all before I had actually met Ronda and before I even had a blog. How could I not love Mrs.Blandings too, after all it was one of my favorite movies. Living in Manhattan, I could relate to moving to the burbs and to a dream home.

You know the old expression, "Birds of a feather flock together" - which I find to be totally true.
The artwork for Mrs. Blandings was so easy to do since I only had to create a picture to match her words and her dreams. Mind you, I have learned how to scan images, but still love learning more on this journey.
I began to flock to a few blogs that I enjoyed reading for mere wit, charm and that I just plain loved reading with my morning mug of coffee. After much encouragement from many other wonderful bloggers who inspired me to take time to make my day brighter, I made my own nest of a blog.

Go ahead and tell me if there are any other questions that you might have for me or what sorts of content you love the most about landing here and why you visit? What would you like to see more of? Let me know if you are a reader and or a blogger?

26 comments:

Unknown said...

Good morning, Ms. PVE,
Blogland is a unique place, vitrually speaking,and sometimes consider making the move. Blogs are a source of information,entertainment and the pure wonder of what other people are doing, creating and how they are living.
Your blog is one of my daily reads...why...for all the reasons you have given that's why I visit.
Keep up the good work.
Best wishes,
BarbaraG

pve design said...

BarbaraG-
Thank-you. Your cards were sent!
I do hope you consider making the move to blogland.
You will find lots of goodness and support.
Just like a welcome committee bringing you sunshine and baskets of treats left in the form of comments.
pve

North of 25A said...

Good morning, Patricia!
I, too, read blogs for all the same reasons that you do. So, here I am with my cup of coffee reading of my very favorite blogs, with art that makes me smile and beginning my Friday. You have inspired me more than you could ever know.
All the best to you,
xoxox
Colleen

René said...

You most definitely spread sunshine pve. I love my banner and my note cards and as soon as the original is framed I will share it with the world :)
Your logo has caused me to pause on several occasions. I see two birds and a hat in between them. It is very clean and catches the eye.
Coffee and blog reading is my favorite part of the morning.
Have a nice weekend.
Rene

pve design said...

Colleen,
You my dear have inspired me to read more!
pve

Rene,
I feel the need to give your illustration a wash of blue on the front door since you changed that. How did you know I love a blue door!!
pve

Yvonne Blacker said...

I always enjoy checking in to see what you are up to as I am also an artist and blogger. I love your story about making art to give something back to the people around you. It really is a gift (and you share yours generously!)

Gretchen O. said...

I have my cup o joe and landed at my morning pve:) I am new to blogland and have appreciated your thoughtful comments...one thing I have found is a comment is such a thrill...'someone is reading my blog!', your comments have been motivation to keep going. Thanks for that!

your artwork is just awesome, I want to know how to find time to do it ALL???? and I can't wait to finish the outside of my home, so that I can have a little bit of Pve artwork in my home too!

Have a great day and weekend.

--Gretchen

Unknown said...

Good Morning, Patricia. You are always my 1st blog stop of the day! I'm so happy that you shared with everyone the origin of that iconic bird design of yours. You are a gift to all of us who blog, who read, who love art and beauty.

May your day by sunny!!!
xo Elizabeth

Stitchfork said...

Speaking as a new blogger and feeling like the new kid on the playground not knowing anyone - you stepped right up and made me feel very welcome! Your work always makes me smile! And your cardinal/paintbrush design is stellar and caught my eye from day one on your blog. Your stories and wit bring me back to read more daily. Thank you!!

Sharon Brown said...

Your talent is amazing!

I'd love to know more about your training / schooling as well as what kind of tools you work with - pencils, paint, markers, etc. If you have already written about these things in prior posts please feel free to direct me as to where to find them.

Again, your talent is amazing. I think I am jealous. Heck, I know I'm jealous!

Susan McClaskey said...

Your blog is always one of my daily reads and you have achieved your goal, because I always smile. I love reading blogs (to the extent I'm considering whether I need to drop some magazine subscriptions)and have been inspired to recently begin my own. It now seems to have taken on a life of it's own. It's a creative endevor all by itself, and I spend many a happy hour "twekking" it. Yours and other "favorites" are what I hope mine will be like someday.
Susan

Stacey said...

This is my first time visiting and i loved reading the story behind pve design. Truly inspirational, and a lovely blog this is too!

Privet and Holly said...

Good morning, PVE!
I stumbled into
blogdom while looking
for ideas to sharpen
up my pantry! I then
discovered a whole new
world, which I digested
for a few months before
joining in. I love to
see blogs where people
showcase their talents;
art, design, writing,
photography....and at
the same time, show
glimpses of themselves.
That is what draws me
in! I saw your name
pop up a few places and
wandered over out of
curiosity....and now
I follow : ) Great
questions to ponder!
Happy Weekend.
xx Suzanne

deliciously organized said...

Thanks for sharing your story Patricia. Your art is so beautiful, keep doing what you do :)

Mariska Meijers said...

I love to hear the inspiration and history behind your logo and your art. You are driven by your passion1 Have a wonderful weekend Patricia xox

cotedetexas said...

I love to see your work on your blog. I love the houses especially. it's hard to constantly post. we're going on our 4th year - it gets harder don't you think?

Unknown said...

I love your logo and it is as recognizable as a cardinal! I also love that I can spot your work immediately. It is your trademark and you are amazing at it!
xo
amanda

Miss Cavendish said...

Your JM McL watercolor is *very* pretty!

pve design said...

Thanks so much for your comments!
My nest feels richer for each of your visits and love to have you as my guests - off for a good preening and a dip in the bird bath of life!
pve

*Chic Provence* said...

Hi Patricia, I don't think I've ever told you how much I love your lighthearted hand with your very expressive and engaging watercolors and drawings and paintings! Kudos, I know how difficult it is and you make it look so easy!

all the very best

Kit

LindsB said...

I love your logo and your business card still remains on my desk as it's one of my favorites! Your work is one of a kind just like you are and I hope you both never change!

traci zeller designs said...

I love your logo! I'm a reader and blogger - and I'm pretty sure that I found you because you had designed the header for another blog that I read (more than one, actually). You always have amazing photos but what I enjoy the most is your artwork. Each piece is so special and unique and so fantastic - and so clearly your work at the same time!

Hello Lover... said...

I really love coming here to see your work and I love seeing where your inspirations come from and where/how your clients use your art!

Kerri - Driftwood Interiors said...

Thanks so much for sharing your story. As an artist myself I really admire your lovely work, especially after my own feeble attempt at watercolours over the weekend! I've enjoyed your blog often over the years (before I had my own blog), but now that I do I'm a regular reader. Thanks again for the inspiration. K xx

Unknown said...

Good Morning, Patricia. It is a good pve design logo with two white birds. Logo looks lovely. The sentence below Logo "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" is so nice. I love your logo and your business card.

CreditRepair Services

Unknown said...

This is my first time visiting and i loved reading the story behind pve design. Good Morning, Patricia. You most definitely spread sunshine pve.I would love to know more about your training.
Your talent is amazing.

organic cotton