Thursday, July 24, 2008

thank heavens for little boys

While touring Brussels, a visit to the "Grande Place" is always a must and just off the square, there is a famous little boy, "the Manne ka pis" - a statue of a little boy sprinkling and tinkling!
This statue is dressed up on Holiday and other days, simply sporting his "birthday suit!"  A visit quickly takes me back to the days of potty training twins and setting up a routine for them to successfully make the mark.  I know that many of you will appreciate the success and the rewards of having no more diapers to change.  Children along with adults find humor in this little boy.  Around the area, one can find lots of souvenirs of this statue.

We happened upon this Artist, Ziaeian, who had a booth set up and the most charming illustrations. We could not resist to purchase this small work of art to hang in the bathroom.
A souvenir or sorts.

There were other illustrations that I loved as well, take a look at this lovely building and those gorgeous flowers.  An awning always adds a smile to a building as well as protection from a different sort of shower.  Speaking of showers, it happens to be raining here today.  Thank heavens for little boys and for showers too!  Have a sunny day.

15 comments:

littlebyrd said...

I love that you are hanging the illustration in your bathroom! What a perfect place for it!

pve design said...

littlebyrd,
hope you showed illustration to oliver!
is he potty trained already?
pve

ArchitectDesign™ said...

It rained here all night too. I love the idea of hanging this in the bathroom! What a great reminder of our trip :-)

London Calling said...

Art is always my favorite souvenier of a trip. Such a sunny illustration.

Ann said...

That little boy looks cute, can't believe they are dressing him up on certain occasions. I mean its a work of art, it is not some sleazy thing out there.

pve design said...

Ann-
Dressing him up on holidays keeps visitors coming back and a way of honoring holidays. He is a cute little emblem of Brussels and I am laughing at your comment.
Patricia

heidi said...

i feel you on the potty training of twins!! We just finally got rid our last changing table!

pve design said...

heidi-
wishing you good luck with your twins, it goes so fast, so enjoy the "little" days! my twins are taller than me!
best,
patricia

tyler said...

in the midst of training, potty humor is often funny. the little fountain reminds me of a recent emergency in the park. agreed, artwork is the best souvenir from a holiday away.

N said...

Tee hee. Adorable little cherub.

And art is ALWAYS the best souvenir from a trip.

Kwana said...

I love the little peeing boy. Did I ever mention we actually had a fountain in out living room with a peeing boy when I was a kid? Ahh the 70's...

pve design said...

kwana,
please tell me you must have a photo of you with that fountain!
patricia

la la Lovely said...

Oh I love this post!!!! I have seen that statue myself and even bought a little chocolat version of him!!!! Brings back fun memories! Thanks!

Style Court said...

Thanks so much for sharing this -- love the illustration. Have a wonderful weekend getaway!

Miss Cavendish said...

Love the little boy images. My lad just potty-trained himself a few weeks ago, and it was one of our dearest times. He's so proud!