Monday, July 21, 2008

creating a home illustration

Pencil is used to "rough in" the shape and size on the paper or the image and then a micron archival ink pen is used to fill in the details. The devil is in the details. It takes time but a little patience here is truly a virtue. Working from top left to the bottom right keeps my artwork clean. I use a Mars Staedtler to erase the pencil prior to painting and a drafting brush to dust off the surface.
At a point that I feel I have captured the essence of the artwork, then I begin to prepare my color palette with the colors to be used. I try to narrow down the number of colors and stick to using that palette which brings a cohesive order to the final artwork. I use clean water in a clear glass container , good brushes and have a blotter or a paper towel to test the amount of paint that I load on my brush. Just like applying make-up, if it goes on too dark, you have to start over. I try to work light to dark in water color, but in oils my process is different.

I plan to post more about my process and if any of you have any questions that you would like to know, please feel free to leave me a comment. Creating illustrations and inspiring others to draw or paint is pure joy. Tell me if I have inspired you and let me know what you are creating!

18 comments:

erika said...

I have a question... when you start with the color - where do you start? the sky? the ground? the house?
I'm glad you are posting this... it's inspiring!!!
(as usual)
e

pve design said...

erika,
great question- normally I love to zoom in on the "details" but I try to work on massing in the larger areas, "instant gratification. Speed is of the essence if it is a large work, otherwise, you will get marks. practice makes perfect.
yes, I try left to right, sky, then grass and usually house is last. Light to dark.
pve

ArchitectDesign™ said...

I'm not familiar with watercolors (or painting in general) so I love hearing how you work, Patricia! I would love to hear more about your 'how-to's' - I've always wanted to attempt watercolor, this will help!

Melissa Lewis said...

Thanks for letting us in on your process. You always inspire me!

Barbara Jacksier said...

I've always wanted to do a watercolor of my home but so far have only tackled the barn behind it. Hmm....

Kwana said...

I love hearing about the process. I'm still awe of course, but you make it see almost doable.

please sir said...

I love seeing the design process of an artist - in all the stages! Great post!

Mrs. Limestone said...

Great post - I always like seeing what goes on behind closed studio doors :)

Elizabeth said...

Your work always inspires me. I love hearing about your process. This illustration in particular makes me want to live in a house just like that.

Fifi Flowers said...

Nice to read about your technique... it looks GREAT!
Do you use watercolours and ink?

Diane said...

Wonderful post -- it shows others the work that goes into your illustrations

pve design said...

fifi-
Yes, I use water-colors and will post about that too.
I love mixing my own and begin with a primary palette which keeps the colors bright!
red. yellow and blue and mix them!
Hope you are well!
pve

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Your paintings are indeed inspiring. They have such life, such charm and I am a fan. Edward, too.

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

This is a great post! I love your painting so seeing/hearing your thought process is much fun. Thank you for sharing!

Vana said...

Great post! Do you ever use the layering technique...where you apply one color first, lets say for the sky on the whole page....going darker to lighter...than applying more colors on top to add depth and enhance the detailing. Does it make sense? Love your work!
I am starting a series on watercolor. Would love to see what you think of them.

ALL THE BEST said...

You know how much I love your work and it's great to hear more about the process. Thank you!

Topsy Turvy said...

Great job!

-Lana

Michelle said...

wow.......you leave me wanting more !