Wednesday, September 28, 2011

land ahoy

I have a few new commissions that involve sail boats and while I was doing some research I came across some more Andy Virgil work and love it.  There is something about boating that never seems to look dated and I love how boys toys just get bigger and better.  We have friends with boats and whenever the invite arrives for an outing on a boat, we immediately reply "yes."  I just love being on or near the water.  Images keep flooding my head with lists of what to wear and to bring.  My camera is ready.  White jeans, striped tops, windbreakers and sneakers make me smile too.  Sunglasses, check.
Are you with me.  Can I get a fist pump and a yes!
Are you anxious for land or do you want to jump right in?

When you are taking on a project, do you do tons of research or just set sail?  Things always go smoother for me when I feel more prepared.   The research I do makes my senses awake, I hear the sounds of the waves lapping on the side of the smooth boat and the whipping of the sails.  I feel the rope under my feet and the tip of the boat.  I see water all around me with a sliver of lush land ahead.  The sun warms my face and I swallow in the salty air.

I feel myself chasing the wind and taking in all the pleasures of smooth sailing, all the whilst I am comfortably sitting at my drawing table and illustrating that boat.  Most people are amazed at how much research I gather before I begin.  I guess it is like a compass rose and guides me, bringing me closer to my destination to drop anchor and draw or paint.
top image Andy Virgil
bottom two from Pinterest

11 comments:

Formerly known as Frau said...

I'd say all your research is all part of your amazing talent that makes your paintings as wonderful as they are. Not being an artist I'm really clueless what goes into any project all so interesting to me.

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Joyce said...

Being prepared not matter what we do always makes things easier in the end. How cute are those pups in the last photo?!

PS Have you cooked in your new kitchen yet? xo

I Dream Of said...

Patricia, I love your way with words as much as I love your illustrations. You have such talent for both! I'm with you on the love for setting sail, literally and figuratively, and also for being prepared. The "research rabbit hole" leads to such fun discoveries when you take the time to go down it -- it's half the fun of any project, I think!

Nelle Somerville said...

Totally fist pumping and would love to sail away. My office looks over the Baltimore Inner Harbor and I see ships and boats come in and out all day. I daydream of the time I could take a true sail south from our Harbor. Hope you are well PVE! Can't wait to see the finished product. xoxo, Nelle

Carrie Waller Watercolors said...

Love that image! I'm going to have to research Andy Virgil now! I am a researcher at heart, but I long to be carefree and just set sail:)

Maia said...

I love that picture of the dogs on board. I have that one on my inspiration board too!

The Buzz Blog said...

That schooner is absolutely gorgeous and would love a sunset cruise sometime...
xxoo

Britt @ Dreamy Spaces said...

I love sailing!! CUTEST pups ever!! I want them!! :)

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Love to hear you do your research before a commission -see what else is out there. So similar to an architect's work -precedent!

Unknown said...

I do love the water and being on a sailboat - don't know how to sail one myself. I like the thought of heaving ho off the land and set sail.

Now, as far as research....I definitely feel I should do more. I tend to "think on" things quite a bit, more of an idea person. But as the boy scouts always said...."Be Prepared"...and I shall try and do that!

xoxo Elizabeth

annechovie said...

Love the painting and can't wait to see your creation as well! xo