Saturday, September 17, 2011

change in the air

There is a definite change in the air.  
Autumn hints hello. 
It is my most favorite time of year.
Although our leaves are still very green, the cool air beckons us to seek warmth.
  Indeed, this third season from September to November is one of my favorite seasons.
 The turning of the leaves, the spirit of thanks seems to remind us to connect with nature and reflect on the goodness in turn that it deserves.

Think of all the fullness and joy that awaits each of us.  
Perhaps sharing a crackly fire, a warm cup of soup or just a moment sitting under a canopy of nature and reflecting on one's thoughts to feel the abundance around each of us.  

“Setting aside time each day to become absorbed in just being- in the present moment, alone in nature, - will leave you refreshed and refocused. Like a pilgrim going to church, I go outdoors for the prayer that drawing and observing nature offer me. The primordial urge is to Become One, to flee to the arms of Nature, to draw dabbling ducks, preening geese, azalea blossoms, and silhouettes of great blue herons. Nothing spectacular, everything spectacular. The essential magic occurs when pencil meets paper and the eye really sees a tree. The Process of Seeing is what counts, not how good a drawing Is. Being A Witness brings a sense of belonging, of compassion, of responsibility.” -Clare Walker Leslie


I encourage each of you to find time to set aside time gathering your thoughts in nature.
Start an Autumn journal.  Draw. Paint. Photograph. Collect snippets of nature.
Even if you do not have time to be alone, take a friend outside to see the magic of change upon us.
How will you witness the change in the air and your sense of belonging to nature?
Does the change in the air motivate you?
Patricia
pve design

top and middle image from pinterest and bottom from Clare Walker Leslie

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love autumn in the park, the leaves are changing colour here in London. Darker evenings, cooler air, conkers abound. I would love to sit wrapped up in a quilt, drink in hand by that fabulous fire.

Formerly known as Frau said...

The change to Autumn motivates me so much..I love being outside this season most of all. Have a wonderful weekend!

Cheryl said...

My goal this autumn is to start taking photographs again. I do love this time of the year. It is like turning the page.

Glamour Drops said...

A beautiful post. Something so magical about the changing of the seasons - which gives autumn (and spring too) almost most excitement than summer and winter.

Carrie Waller Watercolors said...

I always love your watercolor collages:) It's still Summer here but I am looking forward to those crisp Fall days!

Barbara von Enger said...

I adore autumn - though I'm a child of summer;-)

annechovie said...

I am with you, PVE! This is one of my most favorite times of year, even though we don't get the pretty leaves down here. Have a great wknd! xo

Sophie with her Illustrations said...

I love the advice that were given at the end of the post :)

Stephanie Sabbe said...

i loooooove fall! is this not the perfect first fall weekend!!??

24 Corners said...

I love the idea of seasonal journals...brilliant! Why has this never occured to me before...my journals have always lumped the whole year into one binding...I feel very inspired now, and more ready for Autumn...which seems to have started her chilly entry just today.
Loved Clare's quote too...such a keeper, I'd like to share it with my students.
xo J~


(thank you so much (again) for the sweet comment, it was like a warm hug this morning, and a very caring one at that...just finished my tea and I'm breathing deeply.)

Blue Muse said...

Happy Autumn, Leslie!
This is definitely my favorite time of year, too. As the air gets cooler and the sun sinks into the horizon earlier and earlier, we spend more time indoors and grow more contemplative. Dinners are more hearty, stories go longer into the night... I am so happy to see Autumn!

xo isa

Karena said...

Patricia, my journal is always nearby and as this is my favorite time of year, it is a natural to enjoy and absorb it.

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Come and join my Giveaway from Interieurs!

Summer is a Verb said...

GASP! Traitorrrr...I'll give you a pass for the holiday season but, the rest? I am shocked and disappointed. And you call yourself a Leo ;)

pve design said...

Allie-
you are too funny - I love all the seasons and yes Summer is way up on top, but after the summer we had, I am ready for a change -
I need to show you how great Autumn is here!
pve

I Dream Of said...

That change has come to our neck of the woods, too. I love the idea of an Autumn journal.. of time spent noting the changes and beauty of the season.