Saturday, October 27, 2012

class act

Every day, I receive updates and information about various products, brands and auctions all vying for my attention.  Mind you I do censor what I feel is worthy of sharing with you.  You know when to open certain e-mails that would make you cringe and are totally unacceptable in my book, however
when this e-mail from Corfield Morris subject title read  "Form is temporary, Class is permanent" - I knew that I needed to share this one.

Giovanni Domenico Tiepolo (1727-1804)

Four partially draped figures

In a world of uncensored products and periodicals, I constantly choose to take the high road and associate myself with a certain class, one that is decent, noble and most of all respectable.  Perhaps I strive for high standards and an air of modesty and find partially draped figures less offensive than full frontal nudity.  Take the above work of art which is elegant, timeless and classy.  Is not the human form permanently full of class?

While I may never find myself behind the wheel of a vintage Aston Martin or in the arms of agent 007 or the subject of a partially clad model for an advertisement or nude life model,  I can and will strive to associate with class acts.  I am not a snob but I really find many advertisements offensive and vulgar and having little or no class.  There seems to be no regard for spouting off four letter profanities with no hesitation, it's as if it were cool to cuss and spew words that as a child would have been met with a bar of soap and a full mouth washing of such germs.

Is it me, or is it the world today become numb to class and just covets the bad boy sort of image which I refer to as  déclassé. 

Do you prefer class acts or value shock and awe advertisements?

13 comments:

Karena said...

The class act always! The grace and respect of a civil society. I must have been born in another place and time!

xoxo
Karena
2012 Artists Series

pve design said...

Phyllis,
Thank-you. I too prefer to class act.
You my dear are one classy lady, love your interior designs....so full of grace.
pve

Karen,
Yes, I think we need to bring back civility. My 85 year old Mother is suffering with an open wound and she tells me that she really blames it on this election and that she has never witnessed so little respect of social graces.
Bring back civility!
pve

Anonymous said...

a class act always!

Tara Dillard said...

Obvious the types of customers various advertisers seek.

Glad they do. Love my roster of classy customers.

XO T

Windlost said...

I prefer class and have shockingly conservative tastes as I find so much vulgarity everywhere I look. I can't watch TV anymore without being fed up with the garbage everywhere. Don't even get me started. I love beauty and gentility and grace. :)

Gail, northern California said...

I attributed it to my age (I'll be 68 next month) but I am shocked at the attire girls are allowed to where to school. Then when I get to the bank or restaurant I find women with their boobies hanging out and I think, "Is it any wonder? They have no role models."

I know that sounds very prudish but fat, middle-aged women should not be wearing low-cut knit tops. And certainly not in the workplace.

On the other hand, I am very liberal when it comes to the arts. I hate censorship and wouldn't dream of telling people what they can read, see, or hear.

There seems to be something contradictory going on here. ;-)

SEÁN PATRICK MCARDLE said...

pve, you listed two class acts - Bond, my namesake (Sean), and Tiepolo our chosen passion (art). I follow you because your a class act. Sean

MJH Design Arts said...

Not worry, you could never be anything but a CLASS ACT (and super inspiration). xoxo Mary

Barb said...

I so agree with your take on class and loved the quote..couldn't help but think as I read it that it relates well to our bodies, at any age, when we care for them. You know, our "form" may change and is "temporary" so to speak because of the changes with aging and eventual mortality - but class can always be permanent. Lovely post.

pve design said...

Two Hippos,
Indeed, classiness prevails...
pve

Tara,
I would love a touch of your class -in my garden~
pve

Windlost,
Let's bring back a focus of decency and shows that we can watch with out cringing. I never watch tv, I cannot relate to the violence and absurdity.
pve


Gail,
A gal of any age is always more intriguing when covered....my Mother told me. It is sad to think that our society values showing it all..in public.
I loved Nora Ephron and her uncanny ability to make a turtleneck look chic.
pve

BRASWELL said...

Be still my heart, Sean!
I adore the class act!+ you are one....xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

julielorusso@gmail.com said...

Class of course! Like you :)
Batten down the hatches!!! Sandy is moving in. Stay safe

Elizabeth said...

Oh PVE, you really touched a nerve. I feel sad that this needs pointing out as it should go without saying. I have grown so weary of people trying to be "edgy" by being crude, both with their appearance, language and the ever-evolving notion of what is "cool". Thankfully, there are people like yourself to keep me sane, so thank you!