Wednesday, October 17, 2012

a small shop - inspiration

pve design illustration of jmclaughlin shop in brooklyn, ny
 Ever since I was a child, I have the fondest memories of riding my bike to the local village to buy something from a small shop.  My mother would give me 25 cents and I felt so empowered.  Off I would go to buy something.  Usually it was a pay-day bar or some chocolate.  I loved hearing the shop keeper say "the usual young lady?"
pve design illustration for maisonette shop in hastings-on-hudson
 Things have not changed for me because I still love supporting small businesses.  Getting to know the shop keeper is part of what makes the entire experience so joyfully unique.   If you have not shopped at maisonette shoppe in Hastings-on-Hudson, please do.  Shop keepers Maria and Kevin are delightfully inspiring.
pve design illustration for ardsley hardware
Our very own local Ardsley Hardware is always a treat to pop in for a lightbulb, a bit of paint or perhaps just a welcome greeting "hello, may I help you?"
Joe and his handsome staff are always so helpful.
Vesuvio Bakery in NY
  I love small businesses and just the act of buying a freshly baked baguette adds such a personal experience to my day....the smell of fresh bread is incredibly inspiring.  It is such a treat.  We have our very own bakery but I wish it looked like this famous shop.
Ben Pentreath Ltd. in England
 I simply adore black and white and love this shop on the other side of the pond.  This shop is on my list to go visit.
I am on the look out for a really good cheese shop nearby. 
If you were to open up a shop, what would you sell?
I'd love to sketch your shop for you.
Even if it is only pretend.

What is your favorite small shop?

Number 11, Winner of the tea-lights is Tone on Tone 

10 comments:

pve design said...

Oh Laura,
I would travel all the way to Florence to buy your flowers.
pve

Sandy at You May Be Wandering said...

What pretty little shops!! I wish we had more of them here in Greenwich. I love all the small little shops you find in Europe, but what first comes to mind are some adorable teeny tiny shops we discovered in Venice.

I also have such fond memories of riding my bike to the store and being able to buy things for a quarter.

Enjoy your day, Patricia!

Unknown said...

I can just see you as a young girl buying your chocolate bar!

I truly adore and love small shops. There are so many, but a few are: Madison and Blueprint in Dallas, Home Boutique and Diane's Books in Greenwich, Angela's, Wish and Open House in Rye, Capitol, Isabella and Circa in Charlotte. I can't remember the last time I stepped in a mall!

Happy beautiful Fall day!
xoxo Elizabeth

Kwana said...

What a sweet post. I used to love the local candy and magazine shop. They had a bit of everything and I'd go everyday just to see what was new. I miss those neighborhood stores.

I Dream Of said...

Your little red store front illustration makes me want to go shopping! We're so lucky have lots of little shops just a couple blocks out our door - including a hardware store like the one you describe here. When I was about 8, I would pretend I owned my own little clothing boutique and would draw all my inventory. Not a shock I grew up to work in retail!
XO

Formerly known as Frau said...

I live in a little village now with a main street with little shops...my favorite is the cupcake shop my daughter worked at. But it's next to the largest 5 and 10 and that shop is something else!

The Buzz Blog said...

We wish we had more of a selection of small shops in Pound Ridge but we do have an excellent cheese shop called Plum Plums and definitely worth the trip! In this world of big box stores, we fully support the individual retailer.
xxoo
C + C

Woodside Park said...

Patricia - You would love the charming shops in Georgetown, DC.

I love the interior of my own shop, but the exterior is rather dull....I am on the ground floor of a high rise building.

So excited about my win. I just emailed you. Many thanks!
Loi

MJH Design Arts said...

Hi Patricia, The individual intimate connections that arise from small shops make shopping a treat, the expectation of renewing friendships and so much more. Thanks for the inspiration.
Mary

annie@mostlovelythings said...

I love small shops too! It always reminds me of "You've Got Mail"--my favorite small shop?---so many, but there is the little shop in Laguna Beach called Hillary. It's a children's shop, but everything about it including the owner is adorable. There's also Bixby & Ball in Solana Beach where I met blogger Melissa Kibbee. Her shop is filled with things that I would love to fill my house with and making the connection with one of the owners was very special for Madeline and me. That's the thing about buying on line....you miss the human connection. Even at Bloomingdale's you make a connection. Your illustrations of shops make me dream a little....like the way it used to be!
xo
annie