Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Shoppers

The Shoppers 1912, Artist, William Glackens
While I was away down south, we went to The Museum of Art in Fort Lauderdale and there I met the most wonderful work of William Glackens. Why had I never heard of his work? I was drawn to the images of everyday life that he captured in illustrations and in paintings. I fell in love with his work, as well as these lovely shoppers. These fine ladies are all decked out in such wonderful winter layers, yet I imagine them looking at fine textiles and pondering the hope of the Spring season.

After having been able to shed a few layers of winter and enjoy a little warmth, my thoughts turn to spring, seeds, bulbs and textiles. When I was a young gal, I would ride my bike to the local fabric shoppe and select something to entice me as I would be so anxious for the coming season.

Quickly, I am jolted back to the Winter, the snow is covering the ground and the fire has been lit to take the chill out of the house. My thoughts turn to shopping which brings warmth to my world. Please leave a comment to enter the sunny giveaway that I posted on Tuesday.


9 comments:

Unknown said...

I so enjoy reading your blog, for a number of reasons. Your own artwork, and learning about other artists tops the list.

pve design said...

Thanks Zhush - and right back at you for joining the fun here in blog land. We always learn from sharing.
pve

Unknown said...

Welcome back, would love to share a cup of tea with you!

Fabulous artwork, it's mind boggling, how much wonderful works are out there and we do not know it....Life is an endless treasure hunt!
Kiss x Kiss

Victoria

style chronicle said...

Missed you! So glad you were able to have a warm getaway. Beautiful work of art. Shopping and spring lighten the mood.

Debra said...

I love this newly discovered artist Patricia. There is some sort of familiarity about his work-wish I could put my finger on it.
Welcome back home. It's aways nice to get away and refresh...but so nice to be back home.

thelovelist said...

Gorgeous stuff - I want to see more! I wonder if there is a book out there with any of his images compiled...

Karena said...

I can't wait for spring,it will be a while longer....I have posted new art for these winter days!

casart said...

Patricia, I believe in serendipity! My sister's name was Patricia, my husband was from Danville, not too far from Louisville and I happen to be fortunate to own a Glackens. Years ago we bought A Portrait of Miriam by William Glackens. We were young, didn't have a lot of money and had to purchase it in installments. Miriam reminds me of the women in The Shoppers. She holds a fur muff and a string of pearls peek out from beneath her fur trimmed coat. She wears a black hat with feathers framing her auburn hair. She is a dear "member" of our family especially since she has tripled in value!

Susan Dench said...

What a shame we still don't get dressed so beautifully to go shopping!