Thursday, February 11, 2010

satisfaction

yellow still life, Fairfield Porter
Jane and Elizabeth, Fairfield Porter
Under the elms, Fairfield Porter
Satisfaction comes in many forms. I think one of the most satisfying aspects of being an artist is to adequately fulfill your goal. One such artist who I have great admiration for is "Fairfield Porter" - the realist in him merely wanted to make beautiful things.

Porter once wrote: "The realist thinks he knows ahead of time what reality is, and the abstract artist what art is, but it is in its formality that realist art excels, and the best abstract art communicates an overwhelming sense of reality." Porter was Harvard educated although it was his "self-taught" nature that brought his paintings to reality.

As an artist, it is so important to me to satisfy each day by making things more beautiful, to look and to see what I see and then to get it all out and down on paper or canvas. Nothing beats the satisfaction of knowing when it is right.


17 comments:

Debra said...

I was just commenting on another post of yours and it 'went away'!
But I do love this post~ and the beautiful images of Fairfield Porter. Are you having another snow-day?

pve design said...

Debra,
It will be back, I switched my posts around. Just a 2 hour delay, off to the market for MILK!
pve

My Dog-Eared Pages said...

I love Fairfield Porter, too! Have a wonderful day... ;)

Unknown said...

I just read that quote over about 4 times...wow! I am not familiar with Fairfield Porter, but between those posted images, and that quote...I think that I will be by tomorrow. Off to google..Thanks!

Emily said...

It's a major sense of satisfaction; creating something that is your own. That's why I love coming to your blog to see what you've created and dreamed up! I just noticed the post on couples from Jan 25. Thank you again for such a lovely gift! It means so much.

Karena said...

A wonderful quote, and I love Porter's works of art! Thank you for sharing with us!
Karena

Joyce said...

Fairfield's art is so pretty, draws you in to almost be part of the painting.

Thank you for bringing beauty to our daily life with your art.

Milk for hot cocoa? xo

Formerly known as Frau said...

I have never heard of him thank you for the introduction, it's beautiful.
Stay warm and drive safe!

Kwana said...

These are beautiful and as an artist meeting goals does bring great satisfaction.

Averill said...

Beautiful pictures -- Porter's use of color is just so spot-on.

Feather Gold said...

This is a great post, thank you for introducing me to Fairfield Porter.

Sandra said...

And you do just that Miss pve. You make things more beautiful. xoxo

Unknown said...

Now I've got an introduction to a new artist, I like it very much.
Creating beauty is a wonderful task!

Love ~ Victoria

traci zeller designs said...

In my book, everything you do is *right*! Thanks for beautiful Fairfield Porter images ...

Unknown said...

Fairfield Porter is my alltime favorite artist, and much under appreciated (at least to my thinking). i would be thrilled to know about about whom else you admire?!

pve design said...

Meg-
I admire many artists, not just the one's with the "big brush" or well known. I will post more artists that inspire me.
Come back!
pve

Gwen Driscoll said...

These are really beautiful. I can always count on you for something beautiful to look at. Hope you have a great weekend and Happy Valentine's Day!