Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Mappa

Last night,  I had the great pleasure to attend The MOMA to see the work of Alighiero e Boetti.
Mappa by Alighiero e Boetti on view at the MOMA which opens to members today.
Knowing that my son is all the way in Africa, these works somehow spoke to me of our world and all the ideas, concepts and possibilities.


"For me the work of the embroidered Mappa is the maximum of beauty. For that work I did nothing, chose nothing, in the sense that: the world is made as it is, not as I designed it, the flags are those that exist, and I did not design them; in short I did absolutely nothing; when the basic idea, the concept, emerges everything else requires no choosing." Alighiero e Boetti, 1974


If you have time to go and see the Boetti exhibit, you will be amazed by the colors, the embroidery and the over riding theme that everything emerges without choosing.

6 comments:

My Notting Hill said...

The map is wonderful. Hope your son is having an amazing experience in Africa.

quintessence said...

Oh dear - yet another wonderful looking exhibit to put on my to do list!!

Lisa Mende said...

You are so lucky to be able to pop into the museums to see exhibits!!!

BRASWELL said...

Love that map! xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

pve design said...

Michele,
Your son would love to see that show. I just know he would appreciate it. All the best to you and thanks for your kind words in regard to my son's travels.
pve

Stacey,
Yes, it was so unusual. I don't think many people know his work. The show seems so timely.
pve

Lisa,
It is good to get into a routine of going in to the city and seeing shows, art and concerts. That said, the people watching is the best.
pve

Peggy,
Yes you would love the wall colors of the exhibit, soft and pretty.
pve

Becca - Rebecca Atwood Designs said...

This exhibit sounds really interesting. I'm going to have to try and get to MoMa to see it!