Tuesday, January 10, 2012

on ice

I had to share this image and setting, sent from a reader who shared her proposal story, on ice.

The proposal:  This is the Ross Sea of Antarctica Ice Shelf -- 100 feet high -- and the only way to get to the flat top is by helicopter.  My husband-to-be and I met because we were adventurers and more than any place, we believe Antarctica was "heaven" on this earth.  Our ship, the Kapitan Klebnikov had two helicopters to get us to places otherwise no one ever had touched.  At this point, crew members flew in first, cut tables out of the flat ice on top before we arrived and had champagne and champagne glasses for us when we arrived in groups of 6.  By the time Paul and I (Joan) had flown in, out of nowhere a large group of Adelie penguins had appeared out of nowhere and were milling around in their black and white garb, looking like celebrants.  Already, it had been one of the most exciting moments of my life to do what -- as far as we knew -- no one else had ever achieved -- but then as we walked with our big red jackets and our bunny boots as far as we cared to walk, looking out at the icebergs like fanciful sculptures of an art museum floating past far below, Paul proposed.  I cried and then I must have smiled as I have never done.  We were in our favorite place in all the world on this glorious day, surrounded by penguins in their little tuxedos already, and we knew without any doubt that we WERE in heaven. 
Yes, we have gone back . . . for this is the magic that we thought was only dreamed about . . . but found it was real.  Heaven~!

Joan Larsen

13 comments:

MyFavoriteFrenchAntiques said...

What a creative husband-to-be!

We Blog Artists said...

lovely!!!
thanks for sharing this story with us P!
hugs
Char.

Susan McClaskey said...

This must be one of the most creative proposals ever!
Best,
Susan

Acquired Objects said...

What a great place made even more special by a very creative man. Love this story and what an adventure!

Hugs!
Debra

Karena said...

What an exciting and forever memorable story!! Penguins in attendance as well!

xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

I Dream Of said...

What a magical story. I've got the most vivid picture of the penguins in my head-- they are toasting the happy couple. Thanks for sharing Joan's story, Patricia.

Belle on Heels said...

Ohmygoodness, that is just the best proposal story I've ever heard {read}. Wonderful!!

Hello Lover... said...

Geeze - I thought mine was great in all that snow - but this is amazing! That had to be so cool in your own little part of the world surrounded by penguins!

Unknown said...

Beautiful!!!!

Unknown said...

That is an amazing proposal story. One that will be retold throughout the generations in their family.

So happy you shared it with us!
xo Elizabeth

Nelle Somerville said...

Wow! That is awesome.

kayce hughes said...

How cool is that! Sorry I couldn't help myself. (I only do this on your blog)

Joyce said...

A beautiful story with a happy ending. love it! xo