Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Simply September

One of my most favorite months of the year has always been September and one of my favorite poets is Langston Hughes.  The above cover, "The Best of Simple" is on my list of books to find.
The cover speaks to me as well as so many of his poems.  September is a time of year to learn new things and to teach our children well.  The delirium of Summer is over and the nostalgia of Fall begins.  
As an artist and as a parent, I understand that if you love something, your children will want to love it too.  As parents and teachers, we have the chance to help our children go beyond us and start off on a lifelong voyage of discovery.  The ability to express oneself through art, music and writing is simply the greatest power we have to give.   Do you and your children share poetry, if not, I encourage you to start.  September is a good month to start.

13 comments:

ArchitectDesign™ said...

I thought you were going to say you drew the bookcover! Such a great drawing :-) I think you CAN read a book by its cover more often than not!

MIMILEE said...

DITTO on your BLOG today!....

Thanks for inspiring me this morning......

Best Regards,
MimiLee.<><

Kwana said...

Beautiful post Patricia and love that cover. I hope you find the book. I'd love to read it.

Elizabeth said...

I love LH. Love.

Vana said...

love this post! Very inspiring!

Easy and Elegant Life said...

Simply excellent advice Mrs. PvE. "Jabberwocky" was a particular favourite of Mrs. E.'s father. He does a fine reading and obviously instilled many happy memories in his children whilst doing so.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Bravo! Beautiful thoughts, very well said.

I wish you well in finding the book. Have you tried abebooks.com? I have had good luck there in the past.

I would love to find a skirt like the button up the back one in the illustration!

Oh, and I've been meaning to say that I hope your son is much better now!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to recommend this one to my book club- I'm always looking for a good poetry book! :)

pve design said...

michelle -
thank-you, your package arrived today and we are having lots of laughs with the book of choices.
patricia

Kim said...

I must agree with you - I too, love September!!!

N said...

see what I learn from parents who had a head start on me?

"your children will love what you love"...must be why I encourage him to cook with me all the time.

Mary-Laure said...

I absolutely adore Langston Hughes's beautifully rhythmed poems, his very unique voice, and this cover is perfect.

Style Court said...

I thought you illustrated it at first too. Fabulous.