Monday, October 13, 2008

entrepreneurial spirit


Today is a holiday, "Columbus Day" and there are many parades in honor of Christopher Columbus.  One of my roles as a parent is to teach my children to never lose sight of what they might explore.  Can you imagine leaving on a boat, one of three boats, with enough provisions to last a year and then doing it again several times?  Some people refer to Columbus as a Captain or an Admiral and I simply think he had an "entrepreneurial spirit."

In New York City, there is a marvelous statue of Columbus - namely standing over Columbus Circle.  For those of you that are planning a trip to New York, you may want to explore the Shops at Columbus Circle, at the Time Warner Building.  

There are some fabulous shops and food should you not have packed such provisions.   A coveted circle of tastes such as Bouchon Bakery, Per se, Masa and Landmarc.

The Time Warner building is full of entrepreneurial spirit.

Celebrate the explorer in you today and venture out on your own maiden voyage.  Journey to discover something that excites you, be it in nature or in something that will give you a "vision" to take a chance and accept the responsibility of a plan, even if it is to make "reservations."

Feel the adventurer in you and take a moment to honor Christopher Columbus today. Celebrate the spirit of Columbus today with vision and tell me what you find!

16 comments:

heidi said...

hmm... adventure? The kids have no school, hubby is at work. I'm thinking pumpkin farm.

pve design said...

pick a great pumpkin!

Joyce said...

Great post! I love NY!
My husband and I were a day early for our Columbus Day adventure!! I will post some time this week.
Happy Columbus Day my friend! Enjoy your adventure today and hope you find many treasures!!

Ina in Alaska said...

Thank you for yet another enjoyable and thought provoking posting. Loved all the pictures.

pve design said...

joyce,
enjoy your day today.
look forward to hearing about your adventures.
pve

ina,
glad you liked the pictures in honor of columbus day, you would love the time warner building and columbus circle.
pve

Kwana said...

Fun post. The spirit of adventure is what this country is built on.

designerman said...

thanks for visiting my blog. always nice to see a fellow illustrator has dropped by!

Leciawp said...

I love this twist on Columbus Day - thanks for the food for thought! Brilliant.

Ivy Lane said...

Great post! I am going to adventure out into the park.. NOW!

I love NYC! next time I go..I will definitely check out Columbus Circle and all the shops etc!

Happy Monday! :)

Julia said...

What a lovely tribute!

annechovie said...

Columbus Circle is one of the spots I did get to on my last trip to NY years ago, but will have to check out the shops you mentioned next time I get there. Have a great week!

pve design said...

anne-
yes, we will have to go there and then have a picnic in central park and do some plein air painting...I'll bring the hand sanitizer!
pve

Phyllis Bourne said...

Cool photos/illustrations. Put me in a holiday mood on a day I nearly forgot was a holiday!

Capegirl said...

Lets all wish a happy Thanksgiving to our neighbors to the north.

You have inspired me to start my own journey with a blank notebook-jottings-and quick photos of things that bring a smile to my face. Thank you.

72 and sunny said...

pve- thanks for your 'adele' tip. you're right on the mark, i love her vintage sound. i've added one of her tunes to my mixed tape monday, all because of you!

http://beachbungalow8.blogspot.com/2008/10/mixed-tape-monday_13.html

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

I love your salute to Columbus!

Yesterday, I celebrated by have gelato. For lunch. :-)