Tuesday, October 14, 2008

by design


the dynamic duo -pve design and Architect Design
I never imagined that as a keeper of a blog, that I would have the fortune to meet and build friendships along the way.  Last Saturday, I had the pleasure of meeting Stefan from Architect Design in New York City for a delightful day.  We both felt as though we were not meeting for the first time, there was a design connectivity and an appreciation for art, design and beauty. Truly, destiny, "by design" for a delightful day.

Atelier du viele Apt - an Earthenware cream pitcher $365 at Charlotte Moss
First we met at the Charlotte Moss Shop where I eyed this earthenware pitcher.  I have a penchant for "green" and there was something about this marbleized  finish that is so attractive.   There is a sale going on, as the shop shall be closing so that Charlotte can devote her time to design.  The pitcher did not come home with me as I am in a "saving mode."

Afterwards we had a leisurely stroll through Central Park en route for a bite to E.A.T -
I learned that we both love chocolate chip cookies.


Images from the "House Proud" Interior watercolor collection exhibit
Arriving at the Cooper-Hewitt Museum to view an exhibit - "House Proud" a collection of interior watercolors and other fine objects.   The attention to detail as well as the amount of patience was impressive.  I need to brush up on trying my hand at some of these sorts of works.
Firstly, I will need some brushes with fine tips in order to get the amount of detail.
Then upstairs for some more eye feasting.

a motif from a vintage wallpaper, from the exhibit
a modern fine line "frame" wallpaper, perfect for today - of course I would want to illustrate in each frame a work of art!  I loved this paper.

On the 2nd floor there are two other exhibits to view, a model for chinese affordable architecture 
 and a children's wallpaper exhibit with vintage designs, "Wall Stories"

a wallpaper sample from the collection, animal motifs are still charming today.

The finale was the Fifth Avenue promenade leading us to "Bergdorf Goodman" - for a little window shopping and a mad dash to Grand Central for my train, otherwise, I may have turned into a pumpkin!
By design, a super Saturday to blog about.

23 comments:

Ina in Alaska said...

What a lovely day. Loved the vintage wallpapers. I felt like I was along for the day even though I am sitting in my kitchen enjoying the first cup of coffee and looking at 2 inches of new snow...

Joyce said...

A great combo- friendship, New York and Art, one can not get any better for a golden day! Sounds like a perfect day to spend with a friend!

pve design said...

ina,
the next best thing to blogging is actually meeting the face, the person behind the voice - who invites us into their world and gives us inspiration in a photo, a word, a report, even the weather....
leaves are falling about and cause to stop and stare.
post photos of your snow!
pve

joyce-
joy in blogging and in meeting others on this journey.
pve

erika said...

that indeed classifies as a "perfect" day in my book... thanks for taking us along for the ride!

GrannySmithGreen said...

What fun I am sure you had. I have often thought of what it would be like to have coffee or the like with fellow bloggers. We really do get to know one another through cyber space. So glad you took pictures on your excursion. It was a treat to see the old wallpaper. Thanks!

(I have a thing for green too! Wish "saving mode" wasn't happening! You could have that pitcher on your table now! Well, at least you have the great pictures and memories of Charlotte Moss!

Oh, by the way, you are now on my blog roll. Good to have you there!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

I'm sure we could have each spent a fortune at the townhouse!
After you left to catch the train we headed up to the 7th floor of B.G. to see the home department -always beautiful to fantasize! It was such a pleasure to meet and you summed up the afternoon perfectly!

Kwana said...

Lucky you getting to meet Stefan! It looks like a wonderful day. That pitcher is gorgeous.

rebecca said...

What a wonderful post! Looks like a fun filled day! I love the pictures.

We really should have some kind of blogger meet-up in NYC. :)

la la Lovely said...

Sounds divine.. all of it. And that little green pitcher is something... its very relaxing to just look at!

Ina in Alaska said...

Snow pictures coming soon :)

CashmereLibrarian said...

Two of my favorite bloggers hitting NYC together! So fun; thanks for sharing.

Leciawp said...

Wow - I love, love, love the wallpaper! And the cream pitcher...sad the economy is what it is and most of us are in "saving mode" as you said. Great picture of you.

By the by did you see this piece from the summer about chocolate chip cookies?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/09/dining/09chip.html?scp=3&sq=chocolate%20chip%20cookies&st=cse

I modify it to use half as much chocolate as called for and I don't like the disks that bitter (70% cacao) so I use regular chips. But, otherwise a delicious recipe!

Sorry to ramble on and on - happy Tuesday!

pve design said...

lecia,
thanks for the chip news.
makimg some today to send off to stefan.
always love your comments, short and long!
pve

Rachel said...

Yay for bloggy friendships! It sounds like a perfect day.

Fifi Flowers said...

How FUN to meet a fellow blogger in person... looks like a great day!

Megan Coyle said...

Looks like you had a lovely day--and quite an artistic day. I really like the image of the wallpaper from the children's wallpaper exhibition.

And that would be wonderful if you did an artist profile on me.

Miss Cavendish said...

Oh, how I love E.A.T.! It's a long walk up Madison from 5th and 42nd (where I worked), but so worth it!

And the chlidren's vintage wallpaper is divine. I am savouring those gentle colors . . .

N said...

What a wonderful day!

And yes, a blog is great...I met you here too!

Mrs.French said...

sounds perfect...moments like this are why I blog...thank you for sharing it with us.

pve design said...

mrs.french,
yes, and hope to meet my bloggy friends from far and distant places, near to my heart.
pve

Sabina said...

Wonderful post - great photos!!

cotedetexas said...

You both look gorgeous! Isn't this the best thing about design blogging? the friendships. the kinship you feel instantly when meeting someone just like you?!! Wish I could have been there too!

love this!!
Joni

pve design said...

Sabina,
Great post on poverty. I am going to follow your lead and post on this too. As I said, bloggers are a unique force and we all need to rally!
pve

Joni-
"kinship" is right and I am so looking forward to meeting you, there is a home here that you need to stalk, I just could not even begin to do it justice.
Please come and I will arrange.
I will send you photos and I know you will be on the next train, bus, plane to get here. It is so "Joni"
pve