Wednesday, August 19, 2009

McEstate


pve design - original art ( for sale) on aquarelle arches paper
There is something about the word "McEstate" which sounds so much better than "McMansion" which just sounds like enormous house on postage stamp lot with complex rooflines.
"McEstate" gives a certain air of sophistication, wouldn't you agree?
pve design original art (sold Aug 25th) on aquarelle arches paper
Everything has to do with the proportion of scale, the larger than life planters balanced with an even number as well as the height of topiary trees. If you had an estate like this, what would be your signature mark? I remember trips to the "Biltmore Estate" and telling myself that when I grow up, I will live in a castle - like that.
Biltmore Estate
By the way, even if you do not have a "McEstate" - these stately black and white original works of art are for sale. (The works are beautifully mcmatted!) I think they would look "swellegant" hung in a foyer or a powder room. I find myself making up "portmanteau words" - blame it on the heat.

Have a grand day in the coolness of your own home, be it a mc-cottage or a mc-mansion!

27 comments:

Deidra said...

Our McAbode is still without a pillar in the aftermath of that storm, but it is still so cozy and comfy for us! When we lived in NC we always said we visit the Biltmore. Never did. Bummer.

Jo said...

Love the new term!

Jo

Purple Flowers said...

Agree - McEstate sounds more interesting that McMansion (which sounds like a giant hamburger from you know where).
I think my signature mark would be windows. We have the European type that roll out, and I love them. They're different, and that's what I would like to continue with, if I had an Estate. (Also lots of gardens) :)

ArchitectDesign™ said...

those are so beautiful! You missed your true calling as a mcArchitect!

Kalee said...

Charming post! I hope that you have a wonderful day.

littlebyrd said...

I love the sky and tree limbs in the first illustration - so romantic and moody - Love!

Michelle Parks McCourt said...

These are Mclovely!:)

pve design said...

Stefan,
A little bird told me to send these drawings to you...as they reminded them of you.
I know you must be ready for Paris! Is there room in your valise?
pve

ArchitectDesign™ said...

patricia, would love to have you squeeze into my suitcase on our trip to paris! We could eat gelato and sketch the sites together!

Formerly known as Frau said...

Love your drawings! Hiding inside my mini McHaus from the German heat wave we are having. Have a great day!

annechovie said...

Very pretty, Patricia. Love the classic architecture.

Ina in Alaska said...

Now I feel like a McQueen today... but somehow my entire McStaff seems to have taken the day off.....

Prairie Girl Studio said...

you have so wonderfully captured the grandeur of this landmark ~
counting blessings in mcgambrel heritage home,
prairiegirl

Karena said...

Beautiful illustration and I love the "new" verbage.

Melissa C Morris said...

beautiful drawings - i especially love the top one.

Nadine @ BDG said...

Your charming renderings put Biltmore to shame--

Debra said...

Always remember the McEstate here. That was a classic estate for sure. I know you had many happy days there.

Swetha said...

Lovely drawings!!!

ALL THE BEST said...

Beautiful!!!
xoxo

Dana said...

Beautiful drawings! So much character.
90% of the brides I work with get married at Biltmore, as it is 5 minutes from my shop! It is just as magnificent each time I am there.

Simply Mel {Reverie} said...

McEstates are beautiful, but I prefer our McTiny cozy dwelling spot on the hill!

Ms. Bright said...

Ms. Patricia-
I admire your talents so much! I didn't realize until today that you're a Louisville girl originally and went to UC! I gradded from UK's College of Design, by chance do you know Joe Rey-Barreau? Anways, love the McVerbage!! It's a fave of mine, too. And Biltmore will always hold a special place in our hearts...we were engaged there!

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen many of your b&w sketches. I love b&w (and gray). The architecture looks wonderful without color.

Leciawp said...

I agree about the semantics. And your illustration is wonderful.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

I always loved the Biltmore library!

Summer is a Verb said...

Very Beatonish! XXOO

undomestic mama said...

McEstate is very elegant indeed! My signature would be an expanse of rolling gardens complete with benches to sit and read....right next to a beautiful little pond :)